anyone use magic jack?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by flyweed, Jan 11, 2011.

1. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    My wife and I have been thinking of trying Magic Jack...anyone on here tried one, or use it currently? One thing I am waiting for, is we want to keep our same phone number...I guess they are beta testing that now...so once we can keep our current number, we may give it a try.

I've heard lots of good things...but thought I'd ask the folks here.

Dan

2. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    One of my friends does. She loves it, and she likes that you can pick your own phone number WITH area code. So even though we're in Hawaii, she still uses her area code from Texas..

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A friend of mine used it very briefly. I could never hear him very well - the call quality was always poor. I don't know if he gave it up altogether but for the past year and a half he's never called me on it - just uses his cell phone. I know one thing he didn't like about it was that because it was via the computer, no one could call him on it unless he was sitting AT his computer at the time.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

And 911 is not local, and in a power failure you have no phone unless your computer has backup power.

(spelling edit)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I used it for a year and never had any problems BUT I couldn't get my music
    to play after I installed it. Actually the music would play thru the phone. It was weird
    but it did work. You can't pick your phone number or have yours changed unless they
    have added this since I had it.
    I do think it is worth the cheap price!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had Majic Jack for about 8 months and got rid of it. There always seemed to be a slight delay with whom I was talking with and/or visa versa and a slight echo. Then I had to reboot my computer once because it froze for some reason and Majic Jack got switched to some kind of other setup in my computer (headphone use only.) I was able to contact a live Majic Jack representative on my computer...the guy was very helpful and he wanted me to do alot of complicated stuff on my computer to switch the Majic Jack back to regular mode. I'm not computer literate and told the rep this, but I still didnt understand the computer lingo he was talking about. I thanked the rep and told him it was too complicated for me and I terminated the service. I did save money during the 8 months I had it.

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Majic Jack.

I like it cause it's cheap, but for some reason our cordless phone won't work with it... And me being me needs to talk on phone well doing dishes... were gonna try a "new cordless" some day. But have not yet cut out a regular service. (VOIP) Witch I think makes 911 confusing, it still works but adress's could be wrong? (That's what's happened here, so you need to explain excatly where your calling from and where you need help..)

Worth looking into, but not working perfect for us.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    A friend has it and they only like the price, not much else. I dreaded the calls from MJ's because the low quality made it such a struggle to carry on an uninterrupted conversation, lol. [​IMG] Poor sound, dropped calls, echo, voice delays, etc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    We use Magic Jack. I love it except for 1 thing. I have to restart it everyday. But for me it is worth the effort. Save alot of money. I say go for it

10. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    My aunt got it and she liked it, but there was one big problem. We can't hear her! The call quality is terrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by