Anyone Use Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird or Conditioner

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueoval1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I just bought a bag of Gamebird/Showbird and was wondering how it works and if anyone has had good sucess with it?

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it..i use it so much i just buy a big bag of calf-manna same stuff just different bag. I use it as a supplement. At first the birds didnt like it cause the pellets were either too hard to too big for them so i soak them in water before feeding and they clean it up.

3. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    I'm curious too, Is it worth spending the extra money? My chicks get good age-appropriate feed and a ton of table scaps: vegetables, dairy products and breads.. I can't tell if it makes a difference really that I add the conditioner into their feed. Has anyone seen benefits?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am currently mixing Nutri-Boost(same thing) in with my layer pellets/crumbles in order to get some of my birds ready to show, but of course, they are all eating it.
    I am very pleased with the results-to me it's worth it-they look great and are laying beautiful large eggs.
    I'm not sure I would be feeding it if I weren't going to show, though.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I use it as a summer treat, alternating with BOSS. The chickers love it!!

I hand-feed the manna pro, so only the friendliest birds eat it. I do see a difference in feather quality and the older birds that are molting are also still laying this year (unusual for my d'Uccles).
    Also, the spastic birds tame down because the only way to get it is to eat from my hand. I show my birds, so I want them to be tame and gentle. I sell any who absolutely refuse to come to me for treats after a certain age.

All my birds get fruit/veggie scraps left from canning adventures, and other treats. Only the manna pro is hand-fed.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I supplement it in with my regular poultry feeds. I like it and so do the birds.

8. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    It helps to keep them feathering nice..during molt and show season we use manna pro and gamebird/ pullet extruded , higher protien keeps feathers nice ..a show barn inn our area reconmended thier mix to me...

9. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    Thanks for the info! Aside from making the feathers look nice, does it make the chicken more healthy or robust somehow? Or should I think of it just like human hair conditioner?

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Mine have gone from laying large to jumbo eggs. My Silver Lakenvelders are laying HUGE eggs.
    DH and I were noticing tonight that it's all of the hens, not just a few so we definitely attribute it to the feed mixture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by