Anyone use/own a pellet gun (update: got one)

Quote:
I wish you could shoot more than just one pellet at a time, without having to reload and repump each time........that is what makes me attracted to the Crosman 1077 12 shooter.

BUT i have heard bad things about the scope on the 1077, whereas i have heard nothing but good stuff about the gamo big cat 1200 (mostly, anyway)

how is the scope on that.

I am not a hunter, so i don't know a good scope from a bad one.

I also know that some people have taken off the bad scope from the Crosman 1077 and replaced it with a 'real' scope (whatever that means).

thoughts from the generous panel?

I was put off by the single fire/pump thing too but it may not be that big of a deal if you end up hitting your target. The rifles shoot 1000 fps and above fairly consistently and only requires the single pump. I figure if you didn't hit the target, it'll be enough to scare it away.

The thing I never liked about my CO2 is that performance will vary depending on how much gas you have left. Performance will drop with each shot and faster after several shots unless you change cartridges before empty. You probably already checked but I found several of the Youtube videos for the Big Cat and Whisper helpful. I'm leaning toward the whisper but the savings in cost of the big cat is hard to ignore. The scope is probably adequate for the general user on both models.

multiple thank yous for your helpfful input. that co2 info. makes sense and is particularly helpful. YES i would def. be a 'general user' for sure, as my OP attests. and NO i didn't bother to look at videos about the gamos. but i am going to, thanks to you. blessings..

Quote:
I thought the same until my alpha hen was injured from an altercation with a momma squirrel. When the chickens aren't about, the small birds & squirrels come in to get any remaining scraps. I've been extra careful now to limit the amount of scratch I sow in the run so that they spend more time scratching for sprouts than searching for missing grain. Any way I can limit the temptation for them to enter is better for all of us.

In the past I would repeatedly scare off the squirrel but it would only come back when I'm not there. They are too comfortable around humans that I can get within a few feet before it considers moving away. I wasn't present for the attack on my alpha but I'm pretty sure she just had enough of the visitor and pecked at it and that's how she got her injury to her beak and comb. The tip of her beak snapped off, and the top of the beak looked like it was bit into and some scratches on the comb. It's been a few weeks now and she's doing really well. She's able to peck now so it's easier to eat, and it appears the beak is growing back.

My take on it now is to make use of all options to make the run as unappealing as possible, and leave using force as a last resort. With winter coming, food will be scarce. I'm sure I'll have raccoons and possums checking things out this year as well. I'm not advocating taking a life for the heck of it, but I have to do what I can to avoid danger to my chickens with whatever legal means necessary.

the gamo big cat is not a multiple pump gun.

It is a break barrel design. the barrel hinges by near the stock. YOu hold the barrel in one hand and the stock in the other and bring the two together. There will be a point where it will stop, the air is now compressed and ready, you load a pellet into the barrel at the end by the stock and close it up. Now you are ready to go.

Pyramid Air sells some very good air rifles. I own a Webley Patriot (.22 cal & 1,000 FPS) and a Webley Vulcan (.177 cal & 1,000 fps) . Break barrel rifles require specific scopes because of the recoil pattern. They will shred cheap scopes, breaking the crosshairs.

The Patriot will take crows, pigeons, coons, or whatever, out past 40 yards. If I pull it out, it isn't to scare, something is going to take a dirt nap. It is a bit more than the average person needs, and the Gamo rifles would suit most folks needs. The Sheridan Blue Streals in .20 cal are awesome rifles. They hit with authority.

Quote:
so i have noticed. i wonder how the scope quality is.................

Its ok but overall very good for the price since it has an amazing air rifle strapped to it
wink.png

Showing what it can put down (not a fan of his username lol):

Last edited:
Quote:
so i have noticed. i wonder how the scope quality is.................

The scope quality is ok, its not like your going to zero in on something from 150 yards away. It does the job.

we have several, the beeman is really nice, rifle crack with the subsonics, the larger .20 and .22 caliber are hard hitters. It also comes with a .177 barrel and scope in a package deal at walnasty. It is a lethal machine as far as being recorded by big brother, pay cash at walnasty and wear a disguise ha ha, no paperwork at all

Last edited:
Maknugget, you must check out the crosman titan gp. i was amazed to see it at walmart. it has much to recommend it--in a lower priced product, that is. i am seriously now looking at that. i prefer the .22 to the .177

Back
Top Bottom