Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Quote:
I used it but since I have 3 ducks, they ate 2 bags of sand in couple of days. I can't tell you if it's messy or not because it was on the ground too long
big_smile.png
But good luck what you decide

Quote:
Hi, Love your article on using sand. I believe you have me sold. However I do have a question. If sand dust is a concern for humans health what does it do to the chickens?

Quote:
I have 3 inches in mine and it works out just fine. The 3 inches sits on top of about 2 inches of Crush 'n Run which is gravel and sand mix used on dirt roads here in the South. The great thing is I can take my hoe out once a week or so and 'till' the sand up and the poop down so it can rot in. This fall I took out about 2 inches of the sand I had in the run and put it on my garden and let it winter in. Hopefully next spring it will pay off for my corn and okra because that's where I plant those crops along with winter squash. I replaced the sand I took out of the run with 2 inches of fresh creek sand. Now the Gals are acting like someone said above as if they're on holiday at the beach.

I found all of the information in this thread so helpful! We just converted our 6 x 8 run to all-purpose sand. It took 560 lbs. to make it one inch deep. Our girls love it!

Quote:
I am still modifying a shed for my chickens. I intend to use sand for my flooring and will be covering the dirt floor with about 5 inches of sand. I will be using a stall rake to sift the sand.
wee.gif

I am modifying a 20X30 shed into two sections. I will be using half of the shed as my chicken coop. I will be putting about 5 inches of coarse sand over a dirt floor. I will be using two 10X10 kennel runs to make a 10X30 chicken run. The run will be 6 ft tall and I will be covering the top with chicken wire. I will be running 3 feet of chicken wire around the bottom of my "run".

Well today is the day, my 'mini vacation'. First trip will be rock dust for the craters they have dug, then sand on top of that. I am so excited. The floor of they run has gotten progresvely more unsatisfactory. I was going to get it delivered, but they wanted $100, for delivery, a $48. scoop of sand was $150. and they are 7 miles away. Happy vacation day!
roll.png

I have sand in 1/2 the run. Pretty soon the other half will be sand once the chicks eat all the grass. I've tried sifting out the poop in the sand, but I never find any. They must scratch it down pretty far. I rake the grass getting as much poop as I can and finish cleaning by hosing it with pressure water. Works well, but freaks the chicks out. I clean the run once a week. I use pine inside the coop and that gets cleaned through out the day when I visit my girls.

Back
Top Bottom