Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I just read through the 15 pages of this discussion and no one ever really answered the question of whether sand would be okay in a run in harsh winter? Run would be covered so not so much a wet issue as cold/freezing. Anyone??

Hello ,
I have sand in my chicken coop / run . It is a lean-to built on my horse barn , 20 wide x 50 long , has a tin roof so sand is covered . I have chainlink panels on three sides and use plastic tarps in the winter . This was my first winter using the sand and I love it . If the rain blew in it quickly dried out . The girls (40) were nice and toasty this winter with no added heat plus NO smell ! I ordered a dumptruck load so my sand is at least 6 inches deep .
Oklahoma gets really cold in the winter .

Sorry about the mess , I am still improving as I go .

Last edited:
I use sand in the coop; my ladies free range, so no run. Sand in the coop did fine in the winter. I love it, so easy to clean-up - 5 minutes a day and your coop will never smell. 15 minutes once a week and you're still pretty clean. I have had the coop for about 18 months now. I've added more sand about three times. I try to keep it 2 inches or more deep. I just use construction sand, but I'm curious about whether river sand is better. I've also used play sand in the mix but that was because someone gave it to me. It's really too fine for the whole floor. It falls through the cracks and just doesn't seem right. It's also more expensive, so you don't need to even consider it.

My new coop has a dirt floor, ( it was a 3 sided lean too ) The dirt is VERY, VERY DUSTY. So much so my girls are sneezing. I've started to lightly moisten it with the garden hose, but would really like to solve this dusty problem. Do you think course river sand would solve my problem or make it worse ??

Thanks for any help Juanita

I have a question or two. I put Pea gravel in both of our wet paddocks. I want to put sand over them. Thoughts on how deep it should be?
Also, don't mean to sound dense, but what is DE?

Thanks,

Liz

Back
Top Bottom