Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Hi well hens do better in cold weather than in hot. I am in northern nevada where summers can get in the 100s and winters get snow sometimes and the coldest is 16. Sand works great. I have it in the coop under their roost and in their big enclosure. Its like a giant cat box. Put diatomaceous earth food grade in with it and in the nest boxes and fleas, flies and any parasites will steer clear. You can put a little in their food to which will keep internal parasites from making your chickens their home. Also keeps any smell almost nonexistent.

This afternoon I got the coop cleaned out and then gave my ladies a treat bowl of scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and strawberries. They do love my treats when they get them. This is the coop that has the sand run....still loving it!
ya.gif

I've had sand in my run for the past five years, and for the most part, it has worked out great. However, the run is covered and I erect green house panels on the sides during winter, and the environment is exceedingly dusty. I was giving serious thought to getting rid of the sand and using wood shavings.

Then I got to thinking about how easy it is to keep the poop picked up, and it might not be that easy with shavings. Also it might invite insects to take up residence. And the chickens wouldn't be able to dirt bathe whenever they felt the urge.

It's dusty because the ground under the sand is clay soil, and early on, I mixed decomposed sandstone with the sand to stretch the budget. This summer the flies began to hover over the sand since we've had a wetter than usual summer here in Colorado. So I did a couple of applications of Sweet PDZ, which discouraged the flies, but now the sand in the run is dustier than ever.

I went so far as to purchase a product called Dust Locker to quell the dust. But I fear what might happen if the chickens ingest sand particles that have been treated with it. I don't know what effect it might have in their crops, even though the product representative assured me it was safe for chickens.

Has anyone used this product around chickens or something similar or know anyone who has? I love the sand in the run except for the dust problem.

So basically what I'm getting from this thread is that sand is great in the coop and in covered runs, but if you live in rainy NW Washington and cope with heavy clay soil, sand is really not going to help much. I've had my hens for about a month, and they have almost finished defoliating the run ( which is uncovered, unless you count the bird netting on top). Today we got about 3 feet of rain, and it's pretty mucky out there. Ok, maybe not 3 feet, but more than normal. Might have to dig a trench and install perf'd drain pipe.

Thinking that maybe I'll replace the dirt and pine shavings coop floor with sand. But not sure it will be practical to do the run.

No but to keep the dust to a minimum I mist the sand with water and it works pretty well. I have a roof over the enclosure and for winter I bought tarps to put around 3 sides of their enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom