Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I'm getting ready to order sand for my new coop. It is 8 x 12 and I'm thinking it should be about 3 inches deep based on what I have read. My local company is telling me I would need 2 tons of washed river sand (at $25 per ton) and a $60 delivery charge. That seems like more sand than I need, what are your thoughts?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that people change out their coop sand completely at times. What do you do with all the sand? It seems like it would be a lot of sand to do something with. Or do y ou just keep scooping it out and just replace as it gets low?

Thanks for helping this new chicken keeper.

It IS so much easier to clean. I know this is probably one of those "duh" statements...but I have figured out that after I let the hens out in the morning...if I go in then and rake up the little poo they have made at nite...the coop stays clean all day since they spend most of their day outside. It takes all of 5 minutes to clean and the coop stays so nice and tidy.

This is free Sand!!

You want happy, happy, happy hens? Give 'em sand. Chickens need to have their sand baths every day. They sell a course sand here called 'Creek Sand'. I assume it's called that because they dredge it up out of the local creeks. Anyways, it's plentiful and cheap. I buy it at the local landscape yard for $15 a yard. Two yards will give me almost 3 inches of sand over my entire run. You ever see a chicken smile. Give 'em sand and you'll come back the next day and that's what you'll see.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to order sand for my new coop. It is 8 x 12 and I'm thinking it should be about 3 inches deep based on what I have read. My local company is telling me I would need 2 tons of washed river sand (at $25 per ton) and a $60 delivery charge. That seems like more sand than I need, what are your thoughts?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that people change out their coop sand completely at times. What do you do with all the sand? It seems like it would be a lot of sand to do something with. Or do y ou just keep scooping it out and just replace as it gets low?

Thanks for helping this new chicken keeper.
I put it in my garden. Generally I'll put it in an area I'm not going to plant this season and I'll let it cool off some. I took out a load recently and put it where I'm going to plant my fall garden this year. Specifically I'm going to plant a 4'x45' box of potatoes, collards, and lettuce this fall and most of the sand will go in that box and I'll run my tiller over it to work it down. I do everything in boxes and raised beds so it's a perfect thing to add to them. Helps break up the heavy soils we have around here.

So the chickens don't miss digging in the dirt for insects? I was thinking of putting sand in the bottom of my run when I construct it, but should I let them peck down the grass first?

Yea, let them take the grass down. Their is no hurry to get the sand in, but the chickens will have the grass down faster than you would think.

So, I asked in the other sand thread and never got an answer. I love sand for poultry, used it many times, but I was never as predator paranoid as this past year. If I use 4"-6" sand on top of the ground (Like frame the bottom of coop/run with 2x6's and then fill that "sandbox" with sand) will that prevent/discourage animals (mainly raccoons, I have other defenses for coyotes so they won't be an issue) from digging in?

You could do many thing place rocks or gravel around the perimeter or you could put 2' wire on ground around the perimeter pin it down put some pine-straw in top.

Back
Top Bottom