Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Billy7871, Sep 29, 2009.

1. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Yeah, was just hoping the sand would be enough on it's own so that costs on next run could be kept down. Metal wire is stupidly expensive these days. So I was thinking if the sand was deep enough, and technically "above" the outside of run if it'd be enough to discourage on it's own.
  2. taunikelley

taunikelley New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    We are new to chicken keeping also and plan to put sand in our 4x8 run in the next couple of weeks. We recently built a 4ft x 8ft and 10in deep sand box for our kids and used about 1.5 tons of washed river sand (very much like beach sand). We paid $20 and halled it ourselves with our pickup. If your paying a delivery charge go with the 2 tons. You might have a bit leftover, but if you have space to set it aside you could use it to replenish what is compacted or kicked out. If you have a friend with a pickup see if they will let you borrow it, just be careful because 1.5 tons was really pushing the weight limit for our 2010 2500 Dodge.(Filled 8ft bed level to top) It took it like a champ but we won't do that very often.
  3. Ga Boy

Ga Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville Ga
    [​IMG] FREE SAND!!!!!
    Most job sites have a big hill of sand when all is done. And if you just stopped and asked they would say take all you want.
  4. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    has anyone had problems with the sand attracting fleas?
  5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Animals are the only things that attract fleas
  6. Ga Boy

Ga Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville Ga
    Add DE
    1 person likes this.
  7. keirys

keirys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    All this rain has made our run a sloppy muddy mess. This morning I had to put pine shavings down as a temporary bandaid. Ill have to clean all that out once the raid stops. Really thinking about switching over to sand, how does it work with snow?
  8. FrogEggs

FrogEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Try Amazon. I got a much better price on wire there.

9. lookyhereboy

lookyhereboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Drury, MO
    I put sand in for the exact problem you are having. It works great. It has been so wet here that it gets pretty messy as well but not like mud. Also the stench is not like the stench of the mud and the sand dries much faster.
  10. melissaG

melissaG Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I've been thinking of Sand, or sand mix as during the winter, I had someone helping out with the coop cleaning (I was kinda in the hospital and laid up for a while[​IMG] )
    They stripped down way too much earth.. which since it's next to the house.. doubled the problems as there was less earth absorbing water, and before it went down.. into my basement of course
    I'm thinking sand would be too porous that close to the house by itself.. help??!! lol[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by