Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Yeah, was just hoping the sand would be enough on it's own so that costs on next run could be kept down. Metal wire is stupidly expensive these days. So I was thinking if the sand was deep enough, and technically "above" the outside of run if it'd be enough to discourage on it's own.

I'm getting ready to order sand for my new coop. It is 8 x 12 and I'm thinking it should be about 3 inches deep based on what I have read. My local company is telling me I would need 2 tons of washed river sand (at $25 per ton) and a $60 delivery charge. That seems like more sand than I need, what are your thoughts?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that people change out their coop sand completely at times. What do you do with all the sand? It seems like it would be a lot of sand to do something with. Or do y ou just keep scooping it out and just replace as it gets low?

Thanks for helping this new chicken keeper.
We are new to chicken keeping also and plan to put sand in our 4x8 run in the next couple of weeks. We recently built a 4ft x 8ft and 10in deep sand box for our kids and used about 1.5 tons of washed river sand (very much like beach sand). We paid $20 and halled it ourselves with our pickup. If your paying a delivery charge go with the 2 tons. You might have a bit leftover, but if you have space to set it aside you could use it to replenish what is compacted or kicked out. If you have a friend with a pickup see if they will let you borrow it, just be careful because 1.5 tons was really pushing the weight limit for our 2010 2500 Dodge.(Filled 8ft bed level to top) It took it like a champ but we won't do that very often.

FREE SAND!!!!!
Most job sites have a big hill of sand when all is done. And if you just stopped and asked they would say take all you want.

All this rain has made our run a sloppy muddy mess. This morning I had to put pine shavings down as a temporary bandaid. Ill have to clean all that out once the raid stops. Really thinking about switching over to sand, how does it work with snow?

Try Amazon. I got a much better price on wire there.

Yeah, was just hoping the sand would be enough on it's own so that costs on next run could be kept down.  Metal wire is stupidly expensive these days. So I was thinking if the sand was deep enough, and technically "above" the outside of run if it'd be enough to discourage on it's own.

I put sand in for the exact problem you are having. It works great. It has been so wet here that it gets pretty messy as well but not like mud. Also the stench is not like the stench of the mud and the sand dries much faster.

So, I've been thinking of Sand, or sand mix as during the winter, I had someone helping out with the coop cleaning (I was kinda in the hospital and laid up for a while
roll.png
)
They stripped down way too much earth.. which since it's next to the house.. doubled the problems as there was less earth absorbing water, and before it went down.. into my basement of course
sickbyc.gif

I'm thinking sand would be too porous that close to the house by itself.. help??!! lol
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom