Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I love my sand! I use a small rake and lightly rake any waste/straw, etc into a pile and shovel it into a tupperware containger going to the compost pile. Then I go in with the shovel and turn the sand in the run paying attention to the sand under the waterer....I like to shovel it into an area to dry out and relocate dry sand under the waterer... My poop board also gets scraped (take it out sometimes and wash it/disinfect), and the poop goes to the compost. Dust everything down with DE..............and I'm out of there!!! LOLOL Takes about 20 minutes

I went with sand, couldn't find the so called River Sand in my area but the fine sand I got works well. They love it, I catch them rolling in it getting a dirt bath.

I get my sand from a local contractor friend...coarse sand...easy to work with... Also, someone had been asking about another way of raking :waste up, etc... I ran across this on Pinterest: I knew I had seen it somewhere but I couldn't make it work due to the size of my coop/run. I use short handled shovels/ kid"s hoes...tight space. Hope this URL works for whoever was asking.:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

I haven't managed to get any sand yet and my run is becoming a stinky mess. I was thinking of taking a heavy rake and taking dirt and shoveling out the yucky and should I put DE DOWN on the dirt

Yes clean out coop thoroughly and put DE down then put dg mix down and sprinkle a bit more DE on top and let chickens mix it with the dg mix or whatever you are going to use. Sprinkle some in nest boxes too and in their food.

Decomposed granite and sand mix. You can get it wherever they sell gravel etc. Diatomaceous earth food grade helps protect the chickens from internal and external parasites. It also keeps flies away as well. Sprinkle it in and out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom