Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
After reading a few blogs and posts here, I decided that we would try it for our new run. We also put it in the coop instead of shavings. It makes cleaning so much easier! We do have plenty of shade at different times in the run throughout the day, so I'm not concerned about it getting too hot. As for sand fleas, I will cross that bridge if I need to. The fact that it wicks away moisture from my chickens is a big plus too. We also chose construction grade sand, it's more coarse, which is also great because it they have all the 'grit' they could need!

I am so interested in putting sand in our main coop for our laying hens BUT I am terrified of sand fleas!! We had a flea issue last year in the heat of the summer and it was bad in the shed near our coop because they bedded in the fine dirt floor under our sand rail. Every day when I went out to the coop I ended up with fleas on my legs:( we have 4 dogs and 2 cats which we do treat with a flea/tick preventive but we still end up with issues when the hot muggy summer days arrive. Any advice on how we can still have sand in the coop without sacrificing my legs and chickens to the fleas? If there is a yard spray that WORKS I am willing to use it but only if it is safe for my chickens to be around. And if trouble arises would I be able to spray the sand as well? Any advice is appreciated, I have been dreaming of the easy clean sand coop for almost a year now lol!

Because of others on this site, I put down sand at the end of the Summer.
I have had no problem with "sand fleas". All smells disappeared because
of the excellent drainage. About every 4 months I put down a new inch
or more. This after a good raking and removing that sand. I use what I
remove as filler in dips in the lawn or paths.

The only problem according to my wife, is tracking sand into the house
on occasion. I must remember to take my shoes off !

I have not put sand in the coop. How often do you refresh the coop sand?
Also my run is sort of L shaped. I throw cut lawn grass now and then at only
one end of the run. They like the "excitement" of something other than sand.
By confining it to one end and a small area, there is no buildup of smells.

I have 5 Speckled Sussex which are about 1 year old now. They produce
about 3 to 4 eggs a day. These are very nice chickens to have.

Just read an article on how UK eggs are better than ours. But I know my
eggs are the best you can have.

Keep on Scratching
Bohemian

Last edited:
How much sand? How deep in the coop?
Our coop is in a barn with a concrete floor.
I have had it with straw &/or shavings!

Because of others on this site, I put down sand at the end of the Summer.  
I have had no problem with "sand fleas".   All smells disappeared because
of the excellent drainage.   About every 4 months I put down a new inch
or more.   This after a good raking and removing that sand.   I use what I
remove as filler in dips in the lawn or paths.

The only problem according to my wife, is tracking sand into the house
on occasion.  I must remember to take my shoes off !

I have not put sand in the coop.   How often do you refresh the coop sand?
Also my run is sort of L shaped.   I throw cut lawn grass now and then at only
one end of the run.   They like the "excitement" of something other than sand.
By confining it to one end and a small area, there is no buildup of smells.

I have 5 Speckled Sussex which are about 1 year old now.   They produce
about 3 to 4 eggs a day.  These are very nice chickens to have.

Just read an article on how UK eggs are better than ours.   But I know my
eggs are the best you can have.

Keep on Scratching
Bohemian

I do replace my sand in coop every 3 to 4 months...... You don't have to, but I like to spray/ dust the coop real good... Plus we've had LOTS of rain this summer so I scoop out all wet sand and put in holes in yard too.... Sometimes that doesn't leave them with much sand. Lol.... This weekend In going to do a change....

I've not had problems with sand fleas either and it's HOT here in TN..... I do have problems with flys and gnats!!

I also have a SS and she is by far the sweetest out of my flock!!

I do replace my sand in coop every 3 to 4 months...... You don't have to, but I like to spray/ dust the coop real good... Plus we've had LOTS of rain this summer so I scoop out all wet sand and put in holes in yard too.... Sometimes that doesn't leave them with much sand. Lol.... This weekend In going to do a change....

I've not had problems with sand fleas either and it's HOT here in TN..... I do have problems with flys and gnats!!

I also have a SS and she is by far the sweetest out of my flock!!
frow.gif
Just came across your post. Getting ready to put sand in my coop. Its almost finished. Been using as much recycled material as possible. Makes it more difficult to put together!
barnie.gif
BUT....We have more gnats than I have ever had to deal with! It seems they look for every place they can get into....nose, ears, eyes...besides just crawling on you skin drives you crazy. They flies have slacked off. I got some of those hanging fragrance trees in the vanilla scent...flies DON'T like vanilla. There are some other ideas on pinterest. Good luck
ya.gif

I am so interested in putting sand in our main coop for our laying hens BUT I am terrified of sand fleas!! We had a flea issue last year in the heat of the summer and it was bad in the shed near our coop because they bedded in the fine dirt floor under our sand rail. Every day when I went out to the coop I ended up with fleas on my legs:( we have 4 dogs and 2 cats which we do treat with a flea/tick preventive but we still end up with issues when the hot muggy summer days arrive. Any advice on how we can still have sand in the coop without sacrificing my legs and chickens to the fleas? If there is a yard spray that WORKS I am willing to use it but only if it is safe for my chickens to be around. And if trouble arises would I be able to spray the sand as well? Any advice is appreciated, I have been dreaming of the easy clean sand coop for almost a year now lol!

As long as you have 4 dogs and 2 cats I don't really know what you can do to avoid fleas. But a flea is a flea sand or not. The use of sand greatly outweighs not using it.

Back
Top Bottom