Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I'm new at this so please bear with me and my stupid questions. We are building our coop now and plan to use sand. If I give them treats or throw in crickets or worms do I just throw it on top of the sand or do I put it in feed containers for them?
Yes, you can throw it on the sand (or dirt). (Make sure it is 'construction', or 'mason' sand. Made of up particles of various sizes, vs play sand which is all the same size, and not what you want).

I keep a large cement mixing tub with dirt/ash/peat moss in my run, too, and they like picking at it.

Last edited:
I get DG Mix which is decomposed granite and sand. It has tiny pebble particles so I don't need to get grit. It actually is better than just sand. Do not use playground sand or mason sand is right.

Where do you find this sand???? I've looked at the hardware store, a landscaping company and Lowes. Everyone only sells play sand or all purpose sand. I was told not to use those because of the silica being dangerous to the chickens lungs!

So... all sand contains silica. So does all dirt. The question is, how much? The general consensus is that play sand should be avoided. But "all-purpose" or "masonry" sand is what you want. Basically, you want sand that has a variety of grain sizes, from coarse to fine, and more coarse is better. Play sand is fine and all the same grain. You can usually get good sand at Lowe's, etc., as the sand sold for mixing in with concrete. Rock quarries and gravel companies will have this in bulk also, but transporting it is challenging unless you have a truck (although you can also arrange for delivery). I bought mine in bags at Home Depot.

I have had chickens since 2011 and have used a clean concrete sand in our run. It is at least 1-1 1/2 foot deep. Every year we empty the run sprinkle the sand with farmyard grade lime and till it in. It breaks up the sand and freshens the run. It is a lot of work but it really helps to keep the sand from packing and compost waste.

Last edited:
I have been using regular beach sand in my smaller coops from when I started 6 years ago and now in my large raised night coop. Its been working great. Every morning I religiously scoop out the droppings. I save them in my "poop bucket", I have a small 'waiting list' from friends that want the manure for their gardens. After a few months the sand level gets low and I just add a bucket or two. It worked way better for me than pine shavings (expensive here), dry leaves or hay (got stinky fast).

In my run I use dry leaves/the deep litter method. Keeps flies down and no poop smell.
If the run starts to smell faintly I just add more dry material. (small fluffy leaves work best)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom