Anyone use Straw?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, May 20, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I had heard from a friend that straw is great in the coop, does anyone use it? She said it is easy to clean.

Any thoughts? I was thinking if i am going to use it in the coop when they move outside i should be using it inside, to get them used to it!

Beth

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have been using straw in all of my coops for over a year now and like it much better than shavings. I started using it because a friend gave us 30 bales for free and that sure beat $6 a bag at TSC for shavings. When I clean the coop and put fresh straw down, the chickens are in total heaven, they love scratching through it. I doubt I will switch back to anything else, unless my straw supplier stops giving us any lol.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I too have been using straw. I pay about $6.00 per bale and when I clean it out I put it in my compost heap and mix it in. It breaks down nicely. [​IMG]

4. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    We use a mixture of straw and shavings. The chicks love it! Just be sure that the straw isn't really dusty and that you clean it out regularly.[​IMG]

5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I've always used straw, I find it alot less messy then pine shavings.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Thanks for your responses!!! I have read alot about bugs in the straw? Any way to avoid this? How often do you change it completely? Where do you get your straw?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by