Anyone used this plucker?

Fabiola

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Bernalillo, NM.
Does anyone have used this type of plucker? Can you share how it worked for you? I am planning in buying it, since I won't be killing a large amonut of chickens, maybe one a month or so, so I consider this a cheap and fast way to pluck chicken.

I built one myself that's nearly identical to the one pictured.

I use it in a cordless drill, mounted upside down on a table. I used a bungee to hold down the power switch and simply plug and unplug the batter to turn it on/off.

I used it last week to pluck 25 chickens. I honestly takes less than 30 seconds to pluck a bird, IF I've scalded them correctly.

They are messy and spray nasty water all over. One day, I'm going to build a shield.

Are you buying or building it?

I haven't used it yet, but I bought one like this off of ebay. It was packaged poorly and arrived broken but salvagable (I hope). I didn't know it was being shipped from the Ukraine and it was too expensive to return. I have chalked it up to a lesson learned. I will be processing in mid November and am crossing my fingers that it works well.
Does anyone have used this type of plucker? Can you share how it worked for you? I am planning in buying it, since I won't be killing a large amonut of chickens, maybe one a month or so, so I consider this a cheap and fast way to pluck chicken.

I have one from Heritage Ways Farm, plus a cheap(ish) drill and used it for about half of the Spring batch of Freedom Rangers.

It's probably twice as wide as the one in your picture, and the fingers are longer. It worked great as long as I kept my fingers out of the way!

You need to think about how and where you are going to mount it. That's a lot of sideways torque on a drill chuck that really isn't built for it. Yours is narrower so that will cut down on the pressure. Still, the drill needs to be firmly affixed to something, because you can't hold both the drill and the chicken.

My first attempt was with an old sheet of plywood on sawhorses. It's not really stable enough, the plywood wanted to buck and flex.

I'm looking forward to building a cabinet for it and having the fingers stick up through a hole in the top, making it more like a tabletop plucker: http://www.strombergschickens.com/p...le-poultry-picker-with-motor/Poultry-Pluckers

That way I can support the other end of the plucker (mine is a PVC tube and the threaded rod sticks out the other end) and take the pressure off the drill. Maybe one day I'll get a tub style plucker, but that's expensive for my 50-75 birds a year.

-Wendy

I built one myself that's nearly identical to the one pictured.

I use it in a cordless drill, mounted upside down on a table. I used a bungee to hold down the power switch and simply plug and unplug the batter to turn it on/off.

I used it last week to pluck 25 chickens. I honestly takes less than 30 seconds to pluck a bird, IF I've scalded them correctly.

They are messy and spray nasty water all over. One day, I'm going to build a shield.

Are you buying or building it?
I am buying it, since they are only 20 bucks, thanks for the input, it sounds like a great idea.

I have one from Heritage Ways Farm, plus a cheap(ish) drill and used it for about half of the Spring batch of Freedom Rangers.

It's probably twice as wide as the one in your picture, and the fingers are longer. It worked great as long as I kept my fingers out of the way!

You need to think about how and where you are going to mount it. That's a lot of sideways torque on a drill chuck that really isn't built for it. Yours is narrower so that will cut down on the pressure. Still, the drill needs to be firmly affixed to something, because you can't hold both the drill and the chicken.

My first attempt was with an old sheet of plywood on sawhorses. It's not really stable enough, the plywood wanted to buck and flex.

I'm looking forward to building a cabinet for it and having the fingers stick up through a hole in the top, making it more like a tabletop plucker: http://www.strombergschickens.com/p...le-poultry-picker-with-motor/Poultry-Pluckers

That way I can support the other end of the plucker (mine is a PVC tube and the threaded rod sticks out the other end) and take the pressure off the drill. Maybe one day I'll get a tub style plucker, but that's expensive for my 50-75 birds a year.

-Wendy
Thanks for the idea, I am also trying to figure out how to mount it, but I like Salt & Light's ides, to hold the button with a bangie cord...

I haven't used it yet, but I bought one like this off of ebay. It was packaged poorly and arrived broken but salvagable (I hope). I didn't know it was being shipped from the Ukraine and it was too expensive to return. I have chalked it up to a lesson learned. I will be processing in mid November and am crossing my fingers that it works well.
You can also build it, youtube has a good video in how to do it, I am getting this for $20 at a sports store, you can get it from Cabela's or Charlie's SportingGoods,

We have this one;
http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Pluck...id=1349999988&sr=8-2&keywords=chicken+plucker
I recommend a heavier drill than they show. It does have the real plucking fingers on it.
We have only processed 3 chicken and it is a 2 person job unless you mount the drill securely .
We have started with some broilers but will use a new EZPlucker. But for a couple of birds a drill is great. Beats hand picking.

Back
Top Bottom