Anyone wanna help out a newbie?!

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I've been wanting some chickens for a long time. I've been wanting some fresh eggs and to have a rooster crowing.

Well, my hubby has a friend that has some, so we went over there to get a rooster and a hen, but he wouldn't part with any of his hens. So, I couldn't decide on a rooster, so I ended up getting 2! One of them is a Rhode Island Red. The other is whatever kind that is that lays the pretty color eggs (if it were a hen...lol).

Then, this morning hubby went to the flea market and got 2 hens. He asked for Rhode Island Red hens and the girl that sold them to him had 2 and said that they were ready to lay. I'm not sure how old they are or anything. We're new to this and not sure what questions to ask.

Anyway, for right now we made them a place to stay out of a 6'x8'x4 dog kennel. Hubby put a big limb through the holes of the chain link fence as a roost and he built a shelf in the back the whole width of the kennel and put 2 nesting boxes.

Is this ok for starters? And is it ok for there to be the 2 roosters in there?

We're already questioning the mult-colored rooster because I'm not sure if he's actually mean or not or if it's just because he's got a new home and trying to show he's the boss or what. It seems like he wants to mate really bad...lol The poor hens stayed on the roost almost all day. If they tried to get down that rooster would go for it. It even made the RIR rooster get up on the roost and sometimes even when he tries to get down that other rooster tries something on him it seems. ????? I'm not quite sure I understand this behavior yet.

Also, I haven't heard the RIR rooster crow any. The other one crows quite a bit.

When my hubby put in the nesting boxes, the hens still stayed on the roost. Finally, this evening, hubby put them in the boxes to show them where to go. (Didn't know if they knew to just go there when they're ready to lay ????) One of the hens stayed in the nesting box, but the other flew up higher and is sitting on a piece of 2x4 up above the nesting box.

Also, one of the hens tail feathers poke out almost like a roosters but not quite...wasn't sure if this was normal. We named her Fanny because of it...lol

Anyway, can any of you give me some input on this? Also, the lady at the flea market said that they're ready to lay...what does that mean really...that they're around the age to lay but haven't yet?

Are the roosters supposed to be in there with the hens like that?

Also, because of the outside dog and since the hens and roosters are in a new environment, we're not letting them out of the cage yet. We want them to get used to it first and for us to put up the dog before we let them out. How long do you think we should wait to do this and how often should we do this?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to think of everything I'm wondering about all at one time.

In the meantime, I'll be reading trying to learn more and I'm sure I'll have more questions too.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome KuntryChick!1
welcome-byc.gif

I'll try to answer some of your questions the best that I can. First though, you are going to love having chickens, they are quite addictive and so beneficial. They just take you back to simpler times and give you a sense of independence. If I were to go on that show "Survivor" one thing I wish for was a HEN!

Now: First off, you must build or buy a protective box for the birds to roost safely in at night. It must be predator proof. Even an old wooden dog house could work if necessary. Almost any predator will get thru the fencing of a kennel, it's just a matter of when. Plus, when it gets colder, or rainy the protection is nice, though birds roost happily in trees their whole lives sometimes.

Second. Cull that mean rooster, unless he has stolen your heart. An easy way to cull if you live in the country, just let him loose. He will disappear sooner or later. If later and he can't get to your prized tomatoes, you can enjoy his crowing until he is gone. OR, if you live in town, you can make chicken noodle soup. He will pester your poor two hens until they have no feathers. He will also bully your RIR Roo, and if Mr. RIR gets more aggressive, they can and will hurt each other. Then you must doctor them. ONE Roo per 10 to 12 hens is a very normal ratio. That small of a space has too many Roo's.

Once chickens are relocated, they often take some time to resume laying and if at POL (point of lay) they may take a few weeks to settle in and then should start laying after they do. If they are moulting, it could be a few months before they lay. You'll just have to wait and see. One thing, they will settle down better without the pesky Roo. Then you'll have what is called a TRIO, two hens and one Roo.

Also, the hens will seek out a dark, quiet place to lay naturally, so no worries there. New pullets even lay randomly, like the egg falls out unexpectedly some times. Once they get control over it, they will use your nest boxes. It helps to add some nesting material, just dried grass, hay or straw. Pine shavings work, or even shredded newspapers.

As far as the stubby-tailed hen, if you post a pic on here, you will get confirmation that she is indeed a She. Cute name.

To let the chickens out in your yard, I'd wait a few days and then immediately before dark and BEFORE their dinner, you can open the kennel door and let them wander out a bit for some fresh grass. Stay close in case they want to roam off, which they shouldn't. They quickly become connected to their coop (kennel) and should go back in without much a-do. Pour their dinner feed in the trough after say 30 mintutes to an hour and if hungry they will go in to eat. Be careful if that other Roo is still pacing to get back in your kennel, he will attack your RIR Roo. On second thought, eating him sounds better already.

Now, feeding the Trio. You should buy a good quality laying mash/crumbles/pellets as you prefer. Remember SCRATCH is like chicken candy, so limit it. They need the vitamins and such that come in a good poultry feed.

Chcikens also need grit and layers need calcium found in the form of oyster shells. These can be bought at any feed dealer who has poultry supplies. It is expensive to order online as it is heavy.

I'd pick up a copy of Gail Damerow's "The Chicken Health Handbook" or Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and read it from cover to cover.

Basics: She ter from weather and predators, good feed and grit, correct ratio of hens to Roo and fresh clean water. You should have an egg or two soon.

Amazon.com is the best place to buy books that I have found, and shipping can be free if you spend over $25. I think.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you do not get discouraged, you're gonna love having fresh eggs in your skillet.

Gosh, sorry for long post. Hope it helps you just a bit. HenZ

Thanks so much! You were very helpful!

This kennel has a roof over it and all holes that would be big enough for anything to go through hubby wooded up. Also, the back is totally closed up with metal. The sides are partially closed up with metal. The front only has the kennel fencing and maybe 2 foot on each side only has the fencing...all the rest is closed up.

Also, hubby was thinking with our dog out that he'd probably help keep any predators away. Hubby's pretty mad that the dog has pretty much already ran all the deer off....lol.

About the other rooster...we do live in the country. You mean, go ahead and let him loose? Even though we've only had him one day? Just let him roam free? "Set him free...if he comes back, he was meant to be?" LOL I thought about that, but with the dog I'm not sure. If that's the only choice besides going ahead and having him for dinner, then he might be dinner because I don't want to see the dog kill him and have him for dinner.

We do have some straw in the nesting boxes and around on the ground.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it of the hen with the stubby looking tail.

So, you mentioned about in a few days letting them out before dinner. So, I'm not supposed to keep food in there all the time? I have one of those plastic hanging feeders sitting on the ground and have been just keeping it in there.

What about the RIR not crowing....will he crow once the other roo is out?

If there's a chance your dog will kill the roo, just eat him for dinner. It's hard to stop a dog once they start.

(Eat the rooster, not the dog.
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
Keep food and water with them at all times. The other rooster may start to crow once the bully threat is gone.

You may need to make a separate enclosure for one rooster and leave the two hens to themselves. Even one rooster can be a real pain in the butt. It would be nice for the hens to have some peace without being molested constantly. I don't know how old your roo is. Some can act much like teenagers.

When she said they were ready to start laying, she meant they might lay any day now because she feels they're almost old enough.

Gosh, we are sure up late!

Sounds like the pen/run is enclosed enough. Raccoons and other sneaky things can climb and pull apart fairly strong wire, so keep the dog outin the yard if possible. I would not let the dog out if he may even remotely kill the Roo. You don't want your dog to ever think it is okay to kill any bird, so that option is out. I think you must re-home him somehow. Once he is gone, the other Roo will crow, I've only heard of the RARE roo that doesn't crow. He sounds young to me, or insecure. He will crow when he does not feel threatened. Then he will step up and crow for his ladies, keeping them "safe" and "fed". I love watching those Roo's.

If you decide to let him go, you'll have to restrain the dog somehow. Of course, this is the best time to plead your case for another chicken run.....................oh, I shall try not to get you in trouble so early on.

As far as feed, feed them enough to last half the day, then let the feeder go empty in the afternoon. This way, they will be hungry enough to come back in as dusk. It is important to do this late in the day when the birds are thinking about bedding down. If you prefer to keep the feeder full at all times, you can entice them back in with treats such as scratch or popcorn or anything else you have found they love. They will let you know their favorites, we always save every last scrap from dinner for our birds, and they especially love pasta from Olive Garden.

Since you will only have Three birds, if all else fails, you should be able to round them up easy enough as it is getting dark. They will get calm right before dark, and look to settle in somwhere they feel safe.

Remember, they will scratch and dig and eat your veggies in the garden if allowed to roam unchecked. They are also easy prey to predators, which often come in the form of your neighbors dog. I let mine out now (they used to free-range the whole farm and roost in the barn at night in the rafters) just for a few hours supervised. My dog is a small poodle who just ignores them. HE thinks he is a big dog, but has given up on ever catching a chicken.

Maybe you will be lucky enough to have a dog that does not try to catch the birds.

I wish you the best of luck. Use the search option above and you will find many many posts that cover every topic ever thought up. The word STICKY is used at the top of the subjects that give information you will need. It covers everything. The search will narrow down opinions, the stickys seem to be tried and true info you will find so helpful.

I just love this site, it allows me to read and research and hopefully help others. I have had chickens since second grade and I still learn something on here everytime I log on. I am 1/4 century past High school now, so had birds a long long time. I keep on learning though, as it is so interesting to me.

Good Night, HenZ

Don't really have much to add .. it seems to be all covered

Sometimes it will help to put a wooden or stone egg in the nesting box where you would like them to lay.

Mine roost on the perches at night time. they don't sleep in the nesting boxes.

The quieter rooster will become top in the pecking order once the other rooster is gone. And more gentle with the girls hopefully.

If you have them just in the coop for a few days they will associate it with safety. And run into the coop when they feel tired or threatened while out free ranging.

You can let them free range whenever, it is just easier in the evening before dark as they will want to go to bed and search out the coop. before night fall.

Ok, I tried to get a picture of the spike-tailed hen, but they were up in the roof of the kennel/chicken pen and stick together...lol. So, this is the best I could do, but maybe you can tell by their heads or something for sure if they are for sure both hens:

100_4983.jpg

And here is a pic of the bully roo. I think he's so pretty...I mean handsome:

100_4978.jpg

I really don't want to have to have him for dinner. Maybe hubby can build something to keep him in and separate from the others.

Me + Peeps :

Those pullets sure do look like they are going to lay look at those red combs

What are some of the symptoms that they're about to lay? I have read something about they're poo is more runny and more smelly.

I sure hope they lay soon.​

Back
Top Bottom