Anyone want to hatch with me??? Setting tomorrow.

I really need to get a good LED flashlight today! I want to candle them SO BAD. In other news, it's day 2 and Molly has successfully been moved to her own pen in the coop!

I still have 24 of the original 27 that I started with. Tomorrow (May 14) is day 21 for me. So far seven have pipped, two have broken through the membrane. Hope to have pictures to share in the morning.

-S

I have 30 going into lockdown today and 4 hatched under a broody last night.
big_smile.png

Sunday was day 25 and I candled and out of the 28, only one had quit early. A few looked like they were not moving but I kept them in anyway. Monday night they were already starting to break through the eggshell. Tuesday morning I had 4 hatched out already.
jumpy.gif
Through the day, 4 more. Then Tuesday night 3 more. Wednesday morning (day 28) there was 3 more but one did not look very strong. Later that day, it died but another one hatched out. So 15 hatched, one died, one quit, and 11 to go. I don't figure anymore will hatch but I am planning on keeping them in for another 24 hours. I am planning on giving them a bath tomorrow night.
wee.gif

So I waited and no one else hatched so I cracked them open. I found the rest were fully developed but dead. So I checked on here and found out I should have had my humidity on 80%. I thought that might drown them but they were shrink-wrapped. So next time I am going to crank up the humidity to have a better hatch. I had 100% fertility and 15 out of 28 hatch for my first incubation with the incubator. This Spring, I had 9 silkie eggs under broodies and they hatched out 5 and 4 survived. So I am about the same as the broodies. I have 5 more duck eggs under a broodie in the coop. We will see what happens.

Both of my hens' eggs hatched into two very different looking EEs! So cute. I also added 4 foster chicks for her to raise and so far she's doing great
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom