Anyone who has built a whiz bang...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by peteyfoozer, Jun 4, 2012.

1. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chirping

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    Is there any tips on how to pull the fingers through? My hands are not strong enough even with pliers and it is daunting to see all these empty holes. I would really like to be able to do SOME of this without having to depend on my DH to do everything for me.
    How did YOU do it?
    TIA

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I googled 'whiz bang' just in case I have built or know of it by a different/local name but nothing came up that was useful- what is it please?

3. guppy85

guppy85 In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    I used a pair of channel locks and they went right in. You really have to man handle the fingers, don't worry you won't break them. You might need to make your holes bigger also. 3/4" is too small and 7/8" is too big, i used a step bit and drilled until I found a happy medium. Hope this helps. Couple shots of Jackie D always helps me feel stronger!

4. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Feb 19, 2012
    monroe county indiana
    My Coop
    there are several threads on here about them just type chicken pluckers on the search line and you'll get several on the whiz bang the drill version and the store bought version

5. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chirping

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    It's a chicken plucker...the Whiz Bang chicken plucker. There are other kinds too, but this is what I got.
    Thanks, guppy, I will give the channel locks a try.

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If you soak the fingers in warm, soapy water, they'll pull right thru. I used liquid dish soap (Dawn).

7. Peruvian

Peruvian Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    x2

8. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chirping

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    perfect! Thank you for the tip!

9. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Songster

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I dipped the ridged end in vegetable oil and that really helped. It doesn't take much and it's not as messy as dish soap. You can also used a small piece of 2 X lumber for leverage and it makes it SO much easier. Remember to start in the center!

10. uaj0sh

uaj0sh In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2012

That is a Whiz Bang Chicken Plucker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: