Anyone who hatches in a Little Giant

Quote:
I have two probes in mine Juile. One through the red plug hole dangling the other I run the wire under the lid and the bottom tray.

One probe is a ZooMed the other is an Accurite.

It really is amazing the temp difference between the one on the floor and the one dangling. You just have to remember they will never read the same.

What is a water wiggler I have read it but I am not sure what it is or what it does LOL

Here is a great link about them. I personally do not use them in my still air LG. BUT, that is just me.
http://www.shilala.com/weasel.html

You can find them at the Dollar Tree and Walmart in the toy department. They are also called Water Snakes, Water Wessels, ect.​

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem and also the best part of the LG is the solid state thermostat. That small knob is a huge pain to adjust initially. However once set it can hold very tight temperature. Give yourself several days to adjust it before you put eggs in. I intend to outfit that small knob on mine with about an inch and one-half handle to make adjustment easier/precise.

The single best upgade you can do on that bator is the forced air kit. It doesn't cost too much to add. When your budget permits I would highly recommend it.

If you are around to turn th eggs three times a day then the egg turner, while nice, is really a luxury. BTW, turn those eggs three times per day... no more no less. The odd number assures that the side that is down the longest one day is reversed the next. Handling more than three times per day is just an unnecessary risk.

Try to keep that humidity averaging around 45%. If you find it gets high the days when you add water don't worry. Just even it out by letting it drop lower for a day.

I routinely see hatches > 85%

Good luck and keep us posted.

I intend to outfit that small knob on mine with about an inch and one-half handle to make adjustment easier/precise.

That is a great idea RoostersCrow. I know just a bump on these LG's temp knobs can make them go extreme!

When you get it done can you post it for those of us that have LG's?

I just installed a Fan Kit into one of my LG's! It is really nice to have that feature. I paid around $40.00 for it. That is almost as much as I paid for my LG! LOL Well worth it!! I also upgraded my turner to the newest LG turner. Much better then the old one with the prong cups!​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be glad to post a pic of the knob mod when I do it. It'll be about 3 1/2 weeks though. I have it running right now with a syncronized batch of turkey and chicken eggs due to hatch in two weeks, 15 gold and silver sebright eggs I just set the other night and a friend wants to slip in a half dozen more gold sebrights she is expecting in next week.

So.... It'll be running for awhile and I won't want to disurb it until all those are through.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have a question too I'll ask here. if you have a turner does the whole accurite fit in the bator with out getting in the way of the turner?

I have a question too I'll ask here. if you have a turner does the whole accurite fit in the bator with out getting in the way of the turner?

There is room along the edges of the turner for your Accurite. It will not get in the way there.
smile.png

I just want to thank ya all for helping with any and all ?'s and for asking them as well

BlueBloomers
Thank you so much for the link. I am not planning on using one but was an interesting read and I now know what they are really talking about LOL. I was also wondering what your plans are for your old turner (hinting at a possiable sale here LOL as this is my sisters bator I don't want to add to much here LOL I don't know why she won't ask for it back LOL). You sure are right the bators at the feed stores are $45 and the turner are $45.

RosstersCrow
After reading about the turning handle you plan I took a closer look and was wondering if a handle from a cupboard would work as the one on the bator has a hole that looks like a screw would work I am handy man challenged at times and think to much like my Dad (rest his soul) he had some great ideas they just didn't all look the best LOL.
I will be turning those eggs 3 X's a day unless I can find a good used turner (hint hint BlueBloomers LOL) I will also check into a forced air kit but I am sure it will be around the same price as the bator LOL (by the time you buy the bator forced air kit and a turner for the LG you could call the bator fairie for a hova LOL)

jnjross
Thanks for asking that ? as it was my next one
big_smile.png

Animallover606
Here is the post that MissPrissy posts for anyone having hatching problems it is a very helpfull site. There is a thread from SpeckledHen that has instructions for a homemade bator (I read somewhere you were using a homemade bator) maybe you can see if something on there can help you trouble shoot for the next time you try a hatch in it. Has it been used before with better results. Could of been problems with a bad post office if they were shipped even with the package in tack sometimes the PO will really beat them up. Hope the links help

Dry hatch info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

bator making from SpeckledHen (thank you hen and hubby)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

wow, thanks for starting this post zookeeper! We just picked up the LG still air model with egg turner. We both work full time jobs so the egg turner is a must.
I'm glad to hear that so many people have had moderate to high success with this model. The only problem I think we're going to run in to is if the eggs aren't fertilized. We have 8 roos, four of them silkies, so they keep knocking each other of the hens when trying to mount. I've some eggs have been fertilized when we make breakfast so hopefully a good number of these are fertile as well.

I have just one more question. Has anyone tried hatching pheasant eggs in one? Can I put them in there with the chicken eggs and then after the chicks hatch just keep the pheasants in there the extra few days until they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom