Anyone with a Three-Legged-Cat? I am a wreck deciding what to do with my boy....

I have a cat with a crippled leg, Hoppy. He was named that from his previous parents and it just stuck when we got him (er... when me and my brother smuggled him in). We assume that his front leg was broken when he was thrown out of a car, or something similar. It healed crooked and we're 99% sure he doesn't even have feeling in it. He still has the limb, but he cannot use it. Part of it drags on the ground and sometimes bleeds, so if it were to be amputated that would be one reason, the other being the limb is simply useless. He gets around fine, he can hunt, climb trees, run, the only thing is he's a little lopsided when he walks :)

I'll be interested to see how Fang (brave boy!) does as a tripod and after surgery. Best of luck!

Poor baby! Well, if the first few days of this process are any indication of what the end result will be, I would say that amputation is the way to go - especially if he already doesn't use it and it's prone to get infected/cut/etc. He would probably have a really easy recovery, as Hoppy's already got hopping down pat :)

Poor baby! Well, if the first few days of this process are any indication of what the end result will be, I would say that amputation is the way to go - especially if he already doesn't use it and it's prone to get infected/cut/etc. He would probably have a really easy recovery, as Hoppy's already got hopping down pat :)

Those were my thoughts as well. In the future it's more than likely he'll get it amputated. Thank you!
I hope fang is doing well. IMO the hardest part is before the fur comes in- Scars are just really hard to look at!

We have a friend who has a little dog named Tri Pod. He only has three legs, 1 front, two back. He runs all over the place, and acts like he never had that front leg!

We are at our two-weeks-after surgery mark, and I just wanted to let you guys know that Fang is exactly how he used to be. He does the same things, walks and runs as fast, jumps up and down from things perfectly, and is just as happy, loving, and active as he always was. I am so grateful for all of your words of encouragement when I was faced with what I thought was a terrible decision all around. :)

- http://cldavis.tripawds.com/ Chantal & Fang -

That's just wonderful to hear! Thanks for making a place to share your experiences with others facing the same decision. Fang is a lucky boy to have such a caring owner.

Just because your disabled doesn't mean your life is over!!!!!

A great lesson for anyone to learn even a cat!!!!

Oes
lol.png

Last edited:
We are at our two-weeks-after surgery mark, and I just wanted to let you guys know that Fang is exactly how he used to be. He does the same things, walks and runs as fast, jumps up and down from things perfectly, and is just as happy, loving, and active as he always was. I am so grateful for all of your words of encouragement when I was faced with what I thought was a terrible decision all around. :)

- http://cldavis.tripawds.com/ Chantal & Fang -
thumbsup.gif

Told you so.
smile.png

Seriously, I'm so glad your experience with Fang was so similar to mine with Chloe. She really showed me how much of adjusting to trauma is in our heads. Just watching them afterwards tells you right there you made the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom