Pics

Madhouse Pullet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
Other pets... 🐍
My husband recently got his very first snake 1 week ago. It's a female baby albino ball-python that he named Azula:
20200701_094945.jpg

He had a couple questions but everytime I google his questions (he is not technology savvy), I couldn't find a direct answer.

1. How long does it take for them to digest a "hopper"? (He's waiting to clean up the poop)
2. How long do you keep the light on, or does it stay on all the time?

With BYC being such a large community, I thought I would attempt to ask.

Congrats! She's gorgeous.

It's been a hot minute since I've kept snakes, but it's like a bicycle right?..

Snakes need heat to digest food. What is the temp on the warm side of her enclosure?

As far as the light, what type of light is it? Is it intended for heat?

Congrats! She's gorgeous.

It's been a hot minute since I've kept snakes, but it's like a bicycle right?..

Snakes need heat to digest food. What is the temp on the warm side of her enclosure?

As far as the light, what type of light is it? Is it intended for heat?
Thank you! :)
The temperature has been between 85-90. She seems to be doing fine; drinking and active during the night and at dusk. I mean, I THINK she is doing well for her first week.
I'm not sure about the light but the color is a fuchsia or purple but I do know it's not the one I use for the chicks.
I think my husband, John found the poop yesterday :lol:

An active, eating ball python is incredible, so I’d say you’re doing great! They do not need full spectrum light like lizards do. If it’s the only source of heat, just keep it on, especially after feeding. You don’t need to do a night drop in temperature unless you’re planning to breed.

Keep an eye on behavior and she’ll tell you if it’s too hot or too cold. As long as she can regulate and hide on either side of the cage you should be good!

I usually saw poops 3-4 days after feeding size appropriate meals. Longer if it’s cooler.

An active, eating ball python is incredible, so I’d say you’re doing great! They do not need full spectrum light like lizards do. If it’s the only source of heat, just keep it on, especially after feeding. You don’t need to do a night drop in temperature unless you’re planning to breed.

Keep an eye on behavior and she’ll tell you if it’s too hot or too cold. As long as she can regulate and hide on either side of the cage you should be good!

I usually saw poops 3-4 days after feeding size appropriate meals. Longer if it’s cooler.
I thank you! Based on what you've said, I think we're good :) it's so funny, we put branches in her tank but we will find her hanging on the little thermostat.
This was this morning:
20200706_081020.jpg

What a pretty snake! I have a ball python, Betty Boop, and 2 corn snakes. Your baby looks pretty happy!

My kids and I love Snake Discovery's youtube channel. It's really educational. You should check it out - no Google-fu required, lol.
Great name, btw. We're fans here too.

What a pretty snake! I have a ball python, Betty Boop, and 2 corn snakes. Your baby looks pretty happy!

My kids and I love Snake Discovery's youtube channel. It's really educational. You should check it out - no Google-fu required, lol.
Great name, btw. We're fans here too.
I LOVE that channel too 😍

Back when I had a ball python I used a book shelf with glass , took out the shelves and installed a light ( not for heat ) and a heat light on the top , I would turn the light bulb off at night and leave the heat light on .
I think mine pooped when he felt like it 🤣
Other pets... 🐍
My husband recently got his very first snake 1 week ago. It's a female baby albino ball-python that he named Azula:
View attachment 2226465

He had a couple questions but everytime I google his questions (he is not technology savvy), I couldn't find a direct answer.

1. How long does it take for them to digest a "hopper"? (He's waiting to clean up the poop)
2. How long do you keep the light on, or does it stay on all the time?

With BYC being such a large community, I thought I would attempt to ask.

Hope your husband has fun with his snake (and awesome name by the way 😍😉)!

Back
Top Bottom