Anyone with hatch date Oct 15-25?!? Check out this thread!

I set a dozen buff orpingtons this evening...my second batch. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to you.

Anyone else?
Ugggghhh... Its only day 3 and i cant wait to canlde!! Why cant the days go faster?!?!
barnie.gif

Ok i know this is my third post in a row, and i promise you i am not in any way trying to bump!! I thought id show a pic of my bator now. Ive added some eggs alony with a hygrometer.

89747_img_18321.jpg

Mine are doing great! You might've seen my confession on another thread: I candled on day three (Saturday night) and again on day 4 (yesterday) so I could show my husband. This is my 3rd time using the incubator, but it's the first time I've used it since I met him, so this is his first experience with incubating eggs, or "urban-farm-life" in general. He's getting more interested, and he's kind of a softie, so I'm sure once he gets to experience the hatch, he's going to be smitten.
wink.png

I saw definite life in there when I candled. I could see the red veins and the little black blob in the middle. It was so exciting! Made me confident that I'm doing something right. I think tomorrow I'm going to make a trip to the feed store and start picking up my supplies. I am going to try to wait until day 10 to candle again, because the next time I candle, I want to try to see if I'm on track as far as my days are concerned. It was in the high 90's when the eggs were collected and shipped, from North Florida down here to me in Southwest Florida. With our high, high humidity, I'm curious to see if they might be developing "faster" than I'm thinking. Every time I've used this incubator, I've had early hatches.

Good luck, I can't wait to hear how yours goes!

Ok, i candled the eggs on day 7 (friday the 7th).
Wanna know the results?
All are growing except 2 that i threw out!!!
How is it going with you Cherstin?

Last edited:
My three are still doing well! My 7-year-old and I candled them again the other night, which was day nine. It's getting harder to see in there! My LED penlight wasn't cutting it, so I went to the grocery store and bought a new LED flashlight. It was a little pricey, but I figure everyone needs a good flashlight, right??!
wink.png

I was initially a wee bit dismayed, because so much of the egg was dark, but when I began rolling it gently in a circle, I could see all the important parts! I was happy to note, too, that all three eggs looked the same. That's a big relief, because I wouldn't be sure how to know if one had died. I figure if they all look the same, they must all still be doing well!
smile.png

Now my incubator tells me there are 11 days left, and I still need to make a run to the feed store for some chick starter, and I need a feeder and waterer for the brooder box. I also need a clamp light with a red heat bulb. If there is anything else I'm forgetting, I hope someone will be kind enough to PM me or post a reminder list here! Do all/most/any of you treat preventatively for Coccidia (sp?)?

Good luck in your hatch, chickenpeep and everyone else who will be hatching soon!
smile.png

Quote:
Good luck to you to!
Its getting very hard for me to see whats in the egg too! And its inly day 9!!
ep.gif

I really hope mine hatch, but i dont know because my humidity dosent stay very still.
hide.gif

This is my second hatch, the first one didn't end so well. So I bumped up my instruments to four thermomethers and two hygrometers. Of the Buff Orpingtons, it looks like 5 have a chance. The eggs are a bit porous, my flashlight is not the best and I am fairly certain that the mind is playing tricks on me but I think I saw shadow movement. I ended up setting a few Light Sussex and Barred Rock a few days later and again my mind is not always so kind to me but I believe that I have veining in all of them, even one that has a cracked shell. I have to reward myself with chocolate if I just turn the eggs and not candle them. Its so hard to resist the temptation because I want to see everything that is going on. I really hope that these little ones actually hatch this time, it is heartbreaking to see them get so far only to lose them. I hope all goes well for both of you as well.

Back
Top Bottom