Anything else can I do to up Iseult's chances of survival? Long post, sorry!

That's fortunate.

Be aware that a heavy worm load may get lodged in the intestines as the meds kill them. This can throw the hen into shock. Be prepared to treat with sweetened electrolytes.

Pay close attention to her poops that they keep coming normally. You may need to do a flush to wash them out if they form an obstruction.

Day 22 of illness and I am Iseult’s slave by this point. Lots to be pleased with - this morning she had put weight ON! Yesterday she ate loads and her appetite has been good again today. I’ve tried hard to get her to eat as much of her actual feed (made into a mash) as possible and the ratios on that are upping. Today she has had probably 1/4 cup of feed, half a large egg, maybe a tbsp of liver and a few other tiny bits (seeds and greens just to encourage her to keep going). She also ate some grit. She has periods of being very alert, hungry and looking well. She stands the entire day now until bedtime when she sits down and sleeps. She will turn around and I have seen her stand on one leg to scratch her face once or twice but she does not walk. She preens quite often still (new feathers slowly coming in).

Her poo is much better overall, sometimes completely normal now and solid 90% of the time. There is occasionally still a yellowish tinge which I don’t like but trying to keep positive. The ‘penguin stance’ has completely gone and she drinks well of her own accord. It’s 3 days since her last dose of antibiotics.

The negatives:

- yesterday morning I noticed bloody mucus on a dropping so I started another course of amprolium, looking better again already.

- sometimes seems short of breath

- much of the day still looking puffy and sad with tail down, but I guess she is fighting hard

- crop still does not fully empty and seems gassy. I am treating with fluconazole but tomorrow is the last day of that. I add coconut oil to her feed and massage crop lightly but it seems a bit sore for her.

Poop pic (I know you all love those) - the lighting makes it look really yellow but that’s not the case.
5C6FC084-5349-4E7E-BF7F-8422E8C6CA30.jpeg

Video from last night to show the level of alertness and appetite we are sometimes achieving: https://streamable.com/d3x6wb

I am trying not to get too hopeful but she is giving it her all and so am I.

@casportpony - I have a question please! I wormed this hen with fenbendazole (Panacur 10% liquid) on 1st Dec and thought I had to do it again 5 days later, but now I saw another post of yours which says I should’ve used it 5 days in a row. I’m a fool! I think she may have/ have had capillary worms.

Should I do it again tomorrow and go for 5 days from then? She is approx 1.2kg so I think 0.6ml working on 50mg/kg? She is quite poorly and weak still but I don’t want to waste any time! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom