1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Anything else I can do for my Yellow Naped Amazon?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Terri O, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

So I was cleaning cages earlier and noticed that my YNA had laid an egg at the bottom of the cage. Weird...I put the nest box on two weeks ago. I offered them a peanuts and she wouldnt take it.
    I took her out and put her in the hospital cage with a 60w bulb above and the cage wrapped in towels. She has electrolytes in her water, her regular food next to her (combination of 3 types of pellets) and a treat cup with boiled egg, strawberries and apples. Also a stick of millet. All her favorites...she has touched NOTHING!

Is this all I can do for her? The egg had a bit of blood tinge on it but she doesnt seem egg bound. No nasal discharge. Just ruffly and depressed looking. Not sure if a vet visit is in order...
    Thanks! Terri O

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Oh definitely a vet visit is in order. When the birds get ruffly, your eyes should be on guard. When they look "Depressed Looking" as in they don't want to move very much, they need to be taken to the Vet immediately.

3. Terri O

THanks--I guess I will call the university tomorrow and take her in. T

4. Terri O

Unfortunately my YNA passed away last night. Looks like she just fell right off the perch. RIP Coumatu. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    I'm so sorry for the loss. You gave her a wonderful home and love which some birds will never get. RIP<3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by