Anything to stop a dog from killing chickens??

Quote:
I was just about to type the exact same thing. Build an extra-large Fort Knox-style run for the chickens, keep them inside it, and you'll never have anything to worry about.

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better. Once they kill, it's only a matter of time before they kill again. I don't have dogs - don't like them so if a neighbor's dog ever get's into my birds, bye bye!

lots of good things on here....
walking the dog, making it physically tired
training the dog, giving it something mental to do..
spend time with your dog, and establish yourself as leader
build a big strong fence with hotwire, clip wings, keep everybody seperate.
shock collars/ pinch collars,, are great if you know how to use them.

and if nothing else.. yes the bullet.. better to put the dog down then to let it become a huge problem, for you or someone else

a bored dominant dog, is a killer dog..

I disagree with the bullet answer folks, she loves the dog and the chickens....It will take some training/time, but buy a shock collar and work with your dog and commands...again it won't happen offer night but with-in a month the dog will learn a new behavior pattern. Beside every well trained dog is a responsible pet owner.
Good Luck - BYC is where we all start the race as an EGG!
HappyHatch'en

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto here, then when he even thinks about chickens zapp the livin fire out of him and in a few days he won't even want to eat chicken flavored dog food. Coddling type training will surely end in disaster.

AL

yuckyuck.gif
have one im working with now not only does he want to eat chickens he loves eggs as well going to but some very hot pepper in an egg soon for him to find.
pop.gif

it's not necessarily the breed. my friend has a boxer who protects the free ranging hens and even kills possums that try and steal eggs. the friend did an excellent job with obedience training the dog from the start. now that dog would do anything for him. it didn't come easy either. he had another dog before the boxer...he hadn't trained it very well, and it ran out into the street got run over by a truck in front of him. ouch. he never wanted to go through that again. do what you have to do.

Last edited:
Quote:
I couldn't have said it better. Once they kill, it's only a matter of time before they kill again. I don't have dogs - don't like them so if a neighbor's dog ever get's into my birds, bye bye!

Not true, some puppies will do it and be great once they get older, don't listen to the old farmer's tale because it is wrong. I use a shock collar myself and had great results.

Ok, I can give you our personal experience here and only that...we have a very young but full grown german shepherd. We got him as we need an outside dog to protect...us and the poultry and our little dogs.
We purchased a shock collar for him. He does not wear it all the time...it was not recommended on the instructions...when he wears the collar he is good as gold but...........when we take the collar off of him he KNOWS IT. LOL I have tried tricking him with a tight nylon collar to see if I could bluff him into thinking he still had the shock collar on but he is smarter than I am...he knew it wasn't the shock collar. LOL He has not killed anything yet but he has gone after them but dh has managed to stop him. It is frustrating me here as dh loves this dog and I want him to work out.

I know this will sound kind of crazy, but my friend came up with a simple solution for his dog problem. His dog killed one of their chickens, and he tied the dead chicken around the dogs neck for a week! He had to reattach the dead chicken a couple of times (Yuck!), but that dog will not go near a chicken now! I dont think that dog will even look wrong at a chicken. Pretty simple solution that did not hurt the dog, and had a minimal time investment. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom