Anything we can do??(Dogs keep fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dog that is busy sitting or staying cannot be fighting, so maybe some practice in basic obedience commands?

I'm sure it would not be a total solution, but the better they are at obeying you, the more easily you can manage the situation.

And more training can sometimes change how a dog relates to the people and the other animals in the house, which could potentially be good too.
We've tried that and still are but nothing is working

I did somehow miss their ages on your first post, sorry. Can your father manage both of them at once? As @NatJ said, enforcing an obedience command, especially a sit or down, both of them at the same time, would be good.
No injuries so far is good too!
HG is now mature, and may now be trying to take over, and your dad will have to manage them. Any other times when they have problems with each other?
Mary
Nope, only when they're near my dad

I mean absolutely no ill will here, but why has it become impossible to walk Mika now? Are they being walked separately? Is your Dad stressed whenever both are nearby? This would be completely understandable. I imagine this is a stressful situation for everyone involved. How long has it been since your Mom passed away?

Edited to add: I'm sorry for your loss 💔

I'm so sorry. I know what it's like and how stressful it is. Are they big dogs?

This made me have flashbacks to when my dogs fought regularly. It took a full year for them to relax and trust each other. Mine are spayed young adult females. Sounds like the method that worked for me wouldn't work in your situation. I hope you can figure this out.

Usually what I see with dogs is that the problem is not the dog but the person. I have had my dogs interact with a dog, owners freak out and come to get it and the dog changes instantly the owner touches them. Same thing with when I am working in a home or area with a dog, they are one way when the owner is there and another way when the owner is not.

Dogs pick up on emotions and it is picking up on the emotions your family members are giving off. I would likely guess your dad is inadvertently causing it. Your mom passing away would have a huge impact on your life and emotions. The dogs are picking up on that change.

I've also called and talked to a few behaviorists but none have been able to help.
I’m curious as to what advice the behaviourists have given you and how it hasn’t helped. Intrahousehold aggression isn’t uncommon and Im even dog trainers- much less behaviourists are able to solve it if you’re able to put in the effort aswell.

Sorry for your loss too, I hope you’re able to come to a solution with this problem.

adage that "A tired dog is a good dog holds true here, too--you can do more walks/runs with the dogs every day to have more structure and exercise and to tire them out.
I disagree with this method and so would many reputable trainers. While it does work, excessive exercise to the point of exhaustion isn’t training or solving an issue. While appropriate exercise can help alleviate issues such as reactivity it is not and should not be used as a permanent solution. By running the dogs more, not only are you creating a dog who needs more and more exercise everyday to get tired but you’re not addressing the underlying issue so it won’t fully solve it. Structure is important, so much as a baby gate between rooms, place training or not allowing them on furniture may go a long way.

I like to use the saying “a calm dog is a happy dog” as a dog doesn’t need to be tired in order to be a good house pet.

Another update.
We suspect that Mika has gone into heat and that may be why Hazel Grace is attacking her. We've started to keep Mika and our male dog Mooshu separated like we always do.

If that's the case, then hopefully it will quit when she is out of heat, and once the vet is finally able to spay them both it may not come back :)

Spaying will make it worse. You may want to consider keeping them separate in the house on a permanent basis. Each gets their own time. I've managed multiple gals, and gals are territorial. Some do get along fine, but when they don't it will have the outcome of a to the death fight. If you aren't already using crates, you should start now, always when unsupervised, to be sure both gals are safe. It is best if they can't see each other. With my two, I had one in the hallway and one in my living room. Each got time outside, walks, playtime, but never together and they got along better simply because they didn't have to deal with each other. They also had the defined territory of their crate, and I never allowed the loose dog access to the area where the crated dog could see. Baby gates work well for their. It’s a bit of work, but if you love both dogs equally, as I did with mine, rehoming is not an option and you just have to understand that both your dogs are incompatible personalities, even though they both love you. You can try a reintroduction on neutral turf, like a park, after a month and if they are OK, try integrating them back to main areas together under strict supervision, and see how it goes. If not, at least you know you can manage living with both of them separately. I wish you the best of luck, it can be difficult to have two dogs that just don't see eye to eye in the same house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom