APA standards question regarding Plymouth Rocks

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Does anyone know why the APA does not acknowledge "Black" rocks as a recognized variety? Since blue over blue does not breed true, in order to have "Blue rocks", you must occasionally get Black and Splash as well.

Quite frankly, some of my "black rocks" are prettier (IMHO) than my "blue rocks"

"Inquiring minds want to know"......

Thanks

Scott

In general the breeds that have both colors, blue and black recognized, usually the black was always recognized first. Black Rock bantams are an exception though. Shortly after the Large blues were recognized they became rare and so no attempt was made to standardize blacks. Plus back in the day, plymouth rocks were a big time meat bird and black pin feathers are a pain.

David

Man just love these Myths. Black birds are no harder to pluck than white. What the true story is, they show left over pin feathers since they are black and whites do not show as easily. Buy anystore bought chickens they all have some pin feathers left but you just cant see them that well. They will both pluck the same if done the same way. Just black shows more than white. I rather see pins i need to get than leave them behind to end up later when I eat the chickens yuck.

Yard full o' rocks :

Does anyone know why the APA does not acknowledge "Black" rocks as a recognized variety? Since blue over blue does not breed true, in order to have "Blue rocks", you must occasionally get Black and Splash as well.

Quite frankly, some of my "black rocks" are prettier (IMHO) than my "blue rocks"

"Inquiring minds want to know"......

Thanks

Scott

I feel the same way about my black Orps. I was so excited to finally get blues- but the blacks are amazing!​

Back
Top Bottom