Apartment Chickens

hmm.png
So, nobody on BYC has ever kept apartment chickens? I was so hoping to hear about it.

I just wondered if even a hen, would be too loud, or if you could get away with it.

Are there health/legal issues with keeping a bird in an apartment?

I know that there are laws(or codes) against keeping large parrots in apartments, like the macaws and such. I just wonder if it would list somewhere specifically "no poultry inside the apartment complex".

How about quail? Anyone keep quail inside of an apartment? I think you would be better off, trying to get away with some quail than with chickens. Just because quail, at least mine seem so much quieter than my chickens. I wonder if you could get away with a "discreet" quail cage on your balcony?

I was hoping for more insight on this topic, so I'll see if I cannot revive it.
tongue.png

-Kim

My girls have 2 pet quail in the house in a big bird cage and we just keep it clean for them, but the male one can be noisy. They are the little quail that stay little (can't remember what the guy said they were, sorry)

Dawn

I have chicks not chickens in my Apt.. only when i incubate though.. since i live on my own now i hatch at my place and i keep them here in my Apt till there about 3 weeks old then they go to my parents house to the bigger brooder then from my parents house to the farm house to be with the big girls and boys... right now i don't have any in my Apt.. all i have are my normal pets and my button and coturnix quail chicks that i hatch out the Coturnix chicks leave tomorrow to my parents to the bigger brooder and the buttons stay here with me
smile.png

No one hasn't said a thing to me .. as a matter of fact the Apt manager knows i do it..lol she said long as i keep everything clean witch i do then it's ok with her

But i do plan on hatching more chicken eggs and other breeds of bird eggs soon..ALOT more..lol

Last edited:
Quote:
Button quail?

I was thinking button quail too.

I have Coturnix. I think I could see keeping them inside, as long as they are well managed. Just as you would manage a parrot. A wire floor with a catch tray of cedar shavings(love the smell) or paper.

-Kim

Quote:
Yep, I have seen some of those too. I have house chickens so I shouldn't think it'd be any different
wink.png

Do either of you have a link to those "adorable tiny coops?"

Those sound interesting. I had played with the idea of a large wire dog crate on a rolling platform, the kind that people use at dog shows to wheel the dog around. That way it could be rolled in and out onto the balcony.

-Kim

Quote:
On Friends them guys have a chicken and a duck... On Sienfeld, Kramer had a rooster, if that helps any.

Oh yeah, I remember Kramer's rooster. He had accidently lent the rooster to some friends who were going to "excerise" it. Someone informed him later exactly what "excerising" a rooster most likely meant. Kramer went running out of the apartment to rescue his rooster. LOL

-Kim

Quote:
If your house chicken wears a diaper, how does she lay her eggs?

Does she damage the house at all?

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom