Appenzeller Barthuhner Thread!

Legs do not start out blued. Anyone getting cross beaks should cull and isolate hens to cull the hen that layed it. Labeled and monitored responsible breeding for the Bart's. Please.

Last edited:
Legs do not start out blued. Anyone getting cross beaks should cull and isolate hens to cull the hen that layed it. Labeled and monitored responsible breeding for the Bart's. Please.
thanks for the info about the legs. I didn't even notice the color of the legs until you mentioned it. I was busy looking for signs of illness when i was looking at the legs. i did contacted the breeder and she sent me pics of the parent stock that i looked at when i picked up the eggs and they have blue legs and i was surprised how dainty the hens legs were.

since i got these from a breeder, i will cull any that have cross beaks. I'd read somewhere that someone was having trouble with that in their flock. I was just hoping that it wasn't a common genetic issue of the breed. None of the parent birds had cross beaks. i agree...responsible breeding is the least we could do for this beautiful breed!!

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Tina and I am raising partridge Appenzeller Barthuhners. I purchased the original imported stock from GFF last fall which consisted of a German group and a Belgium group. Additionally, I purchased a pair from a person who had gotten chicks from GFF early last year. Since GFF used straight line breeding and encountered issues with cross beak I decided to switch the roosters and have not had any issues with cross beak so far. If you are still looking for stock, I have an array of chicks and juveniles available. I am located in Alabama and I am NPIP certified so I can ship if necessary. I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your time :)

Omega I found your website today and I have been drooling over your birds! I've even pinned some :-D Have you had any problems with cross beak with these?
Here are some pics from our Barthuhner flock. The Rooster below is just a few months old. He is part of a second generation flock we have growing out. The hen below is one of our older hens from greenfire that have been laying about a year now.

Back
Top Bottom