Chicken Breed Focus - Penedesenca

Hello there! I have had Penedesencas twice. First time around did not enjoy them as they were flighty ladies! Second time around I had a game plan and understood the breed better.
I am Samantha at Cross B Hens N Heifers. I brought Penedesencas into my breeding line up as I am looking to preserve and make a difference for the breed. So many people are interested in dark egg layers and Black Copper Marans are most peoples go to. (Top Egg in Picture) but Penedesencas are a great alternative! First Penedesenca variety I brought in, is the Crele. This allows me to let particular customers in my local city environment to get sexed pullets at hatch, that will lay a dark brown egg. (Penedesenca eggs are the 3 below the top egg). I am excited to bring in Black and Partridge and put a breeding program around them as well.
Can you expand on what you did differently the second time around? What do you mean by understanding the breed better? I am considering adding them to my flock but am trying to do some research beforehand. Do they require different care than your average chicken in your experience? Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Do they require different care than your average chicken in your experience? Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA
I would say not, but then by 'average' I assume chickens are free-ranging, as all mine range dawn till dusk. I posted when they were young (#4 above) and I've been very happy with them. All 3 boys sadly died from some mysterious illness before they reached 18 months old, but the best of them was magnificent prior to falling ill, and he sired several excellent descendants before he passed, all of whom have had a very good year this year - and a hybrid son is now the dominant roo in the flock.

All 3 females make good mixed flock members; in terms of distinguishing features, one has played broody two years running and done an excellent job both times, and another nested in secret and raised a chick without setting foot in a coop here for the first 6 weeks; that feral chick integrated easily into the flock, and just started laying last week - and laid in a nest box in a coop, not out in the garden as she was. The third Penedesenca hen hatched here in 2021 has been one of my best layers. Overall, they are adept at foraging and free ranging, and none have fallen prey to the foxes and hawks that prowl the land and sky here. But I don't think they'd be happy in confinement, so if you keep your flock confined, you might be better off with a different breed.

Back
Top Bottom