Appenzeller Spitzhauben Question

Solyn

Chirping
Jul 27, 2022
Hi guys, I have a question that I can't seem to find a good answer to. Currently, I do not have chickens but we are planning to get a couple or so in the future. I'm still in the research phase of the decision, and have been looking at different breeds. The Appenzeller Spitzhauben has really struck my fancy; they are just so beautiful!

That said, I have seen that they are happiest free ranging. We live out in the country in SE Alabama, but have somewhat close neighbors and lots of hungry critters and wildlife that would be happy to snack on any of them, so I don't think I'd like them roaming free. Therefore, what size would be the minimum coop and run sizes to make sure they're happy? Is there a good estimate like X sq ft per chicken in the coop, and another X sq ft per chicken in the run? I have scoured the internet and all I can find is generic "they don't like confinement" type statements. 🤷‍♀️

Also, for anyone with this breed, do you find them more challenging than other breeds?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I have a question that I can't seem to find a good answer to. Currently, I do not have chickens but we are planning to get a couple or so in the future. I'm still in the research phase of the decision, and have been looking at different breeds. The Appenzeller Spitzhauben has really struck my fancy; they are just so beautiful!

That said, I have seen that they are happiest free ranging. We live out in the country in SE Alabama, but have somewhat close neighbors and lots of hungry critters and wildlife that would be happy to snack on any of them, so I don't think I'd like them roaming free. Therefore, what size would be the minimum coop and run sizes to make sure they're happy? Is there a good estimate like X sq ft per chicken in the coop, and another X sq ft per chicken in the run? I have scoured the internet and all I can find is generic "they don't like confinement" type statements. 🤷‍♀️

Also, for anyone with this breed, do you find them more challenging than other breeds?

Thanks!
My Spitz is fantastic! Curious, friendly, active, adorable. As for space, give them the most you can. The more, the better. And if you can give them supervised free range time, even better!

You will love them!!!

Thanks for the response! We have about an acre of land, so we have options. I'm just not sure a good run size to aim for to start with.

The minimum is 10 sq ft per bird in the run. My birds have 3x that, and it still feels a little cramped. I'm hoping to move them to a new area of our property soon (if the stars ever align - lol) that will give them about 70 sq ft per bird. Hopefully, THAT will be enough!

It really all depends on how big your flock will be, your purposes, what you are comfortable with. My flock is fine with 30/bird. I am hoping that more room will allow the land to sustain them better.

Thanks so much! That gives me some numbers to aim at. I plan to start small with only a couple or few birds, though I hear it's addicting. =D

Thanks so much! That gives me some numbers to aim at. I plan to start small with only a couple or few birds, though I hear it's addicting. =D
Lordy, yes! I started with 4. Swore up and down I'd stop there. Then it was 5. Then 8. Then 10. Then I added 4 ducks, so it was 14. Then 17. Then another duck = 18. Then 20. Then 26. And another duck put me at 27. I've lost a couple, so I'm at 25 now.

Word of advice (take it or leave it, just personal opinion): If you want chickens for pets, I'd keep your flock on the smaller side. I find that it's much easier to maintain them, keep an eye on health, etc. when you have half a dozen or so. But, again, just my opinion.

Mine handle a tight coop and run fine when need be, but they definitely roam when let out. I'd do at least 15 per Spitz, more if possible.

Now, if they never knew about space outside the coop, they probably wouldn't mind quite as much as mine (who had roamed for over 3 years now) do

I have three and I’m not sure the measurements but I am already planning my next extension - I can’t free range in the city limits unfortunately but they seem content- they are about 8 weeks and starting to be drama queens getting their pecking order figured out

Attachments

• 8CDAEEDE-E0FA-4CA1-ABCF-6CDEE37C480E.jpeg
    8CDAEEDE-E0FA-4CA1-ABCF-6CDEE37C480E.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom