Appenzeller Spitzhauben refusing the coop at night

Numbers come from the coop I bought on eBay - I just went by that to be honest. They use a very small portion of the coop to sleep in though and all just seem to huddle in one corner. Hoping it's OK for the 9 of them (3 of which Bantams)?
Recommendation on here is 4 sq ft per standard bird inside the coop, so you can see the difference between that and the seller's claims (as that would make a 25 bird coop 100 sq ft). You'll know if this coop just isn't big enough for your birds if you see continued (or additional) behavioral issues. But it's normal for older birds to protest the addition of the young ones on the roost.
The biggest Barnevelder is squawking at the little ones a bit when I put them in - they just go and hide behind the other chickens who don’t seem mind though and it all seemed to settle down. Perhaps it will just take time ? Or should I be doing something else ?

If the biggest bird is the main aggressor, I'd aim to place the young birds on one side of the roost with some of the other adults in between, to form a buffer. At some point they'll just decide to go up on their own without you needing to run interference, but for now that will help keep the peace.

Recommendation on here is 4 sq ft per standard bird inside the coop
Thank you for that advice - there's such a wealth of information on here that I haven't read in books! Would that be 4sq ft irrespective of chicken size (Brahma / Pekin)?
I'd aim to place the young birds on one side of the roost with some of the other adults in between, to form a buffer
Thank you :) I did that last night and they seemed to settle. So I guess I'll just keep putting them inside at night and hopefully when they're a big bigger they'll go in on their own.

Thank you for that advice - there's such a wealth of information on here that I haven't read in books! Would that be 4sq ft irrespective of chicken size (Brahma / Pekin)?
No, chicken size does play some part. For bantams, 3 sq ft per bird is enough, maybe even as little as 2 for the smallest and most docile. Brahmas or other giants, 5, maybe 6 sq ft per bird (and more allowance on roost and in nest boxes).

Even climate plays a role. In extremely cold climates, it's recommended that standard birds have 6-8 sq ft per bird due to the fact that they may not want to come out much during winter.

Thank you again for the detailed explanation :) I was considering Brahmas at first, but quite happy with my current flock now and not looking to adding any more.
Luckily where I live right by the sea, it's quite mild and we're lucky if we get one day of snow per year - and in the rain they usually hang out in the outshed, my porch next to the coop or under bushes.
Yet another night of putting the babies to bed - I had the solar light on in the coop whilst I fetched them one by one to add them in with the rest. No scuffles tonight and they all settled in quite happily - I think the light definitely helps with that.

Thank you again for the detailed explanation :) I was considering Brahmas at first, but quite happy with my current flock now and not looking to adding any more.
Luckily where I live right by the sea, it's quite mild and we're lucky if we get one day of snow per year - and in the rain they usually hang out in the outshed, my porch next to the coop or under bushes.
Yet another night of putting the babies to bed - I had the solar light on in the coop whilst I fetched them one by one to add them in with the rest. No scuffles tonight and they all settled in quite happily - I think the light definitely helps with that.
Hello! I saw this thread when looking for information about my spitzhaubens. I have three roosters and two hens, and all five of them sleep on the roost outside in the run with the pea fowl that I have. Occasionally one of them has slept in the coop, but they pretty much always sleep outside and the boys like to crow in the middle of the night so it drives me nuts. I was wondering if you had any success with your birds? I'm wondering if the breed just prefers to be in an open space versus an enclosed one?

Back
Top Bottom