Apple bin coop!

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
So last night, I was feeding the horses & had an awakening as I was throwing their hay in to their apple bin feeder.

Why couldn’t I use apple bins as mini coops to make tractors out of? They are VERY strong, 4 x 4 and probably 3’ tall (or close to it), heavy duty and best of all—they cost $10-$15 (each), depending on where you get them. Oh and I live within a few miles of Johnny Appleseed, Magi and a few other BIG orchards, so getting them wouldn’t be a problem, either.

I made some “blueprints” of my idea—sloping metal roof with hinges, so that it lifts to clean & gather eggs, little attached runs, clear plastic (plexi-glass) window, etc. I think it may work? Especially if I paint them all to match the horse barn/our house/existing coop? So I’d have to spend $ on wire, hardware, plexi-glass, etc. but I already have the metal roofing—and probably enough to make 4-6 coops!

I showed them to hubby & he said no because they would be too ugly!

Has anyone built a coop out of apple bins?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=142&prev=/images?q=apple+bin&um=1&hl=en&sa=N this is a super-heavy-duty one.
smile.png

Man, if that kind of box were available to me. YEAH I'd be using it. There's often a few birds that need to be "elsewhere".

It's only as ugly as you let it be. The structure is sound. Details are what make something ugly (like my coops) or not.
At least those suckers are likely square and plumb.

Quote:
Well, I'd like to be able to get 4-6 to use as tractors for my bantams & light breeds. The larger breeds would be house in the "big coop." The outside of the one I pictured is different than the ones I have readily available to me...mine do not have the outside wooden slats, but just plywood sides. They are very heavy, too...which may make the tractor thing hard because they probably weigh a few hundred pounds each...

My outdoor brooder/grower coop is made of and old bin that I got for free. It is extremely heavy, but I don't move mine around. I will try to post a pic tomorrow if possible (its raining today)...it ain't beautiful, but it works!
~Rebecca

Excellent idea!

We have tons of pear bins around here, and the cool thing is they have my real name stenciled across the side!

needmorechickens! :

My outdoor brooder/grower coop is made of and old bin that I got for free. It is extremely heavy, but I don't move mine around. I will try to post a pic tomorrow if possible (its raining today)...it ain't beautiful, but it works!
~Rebecca

That would be neat, to see a pic! Thanks!​

Back
Top Bottom