apple cider to apple vinegar?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Truevalentine, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Truevalentine

Truevalentine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    I bought some beautiful fresh unpasturized apple cider a while ago, then forgot it was in my fridge. When I went back to it the bottle was bloated. Opened it and it tried to fizz out and smelled boozy. I think I have myself some hard cider here, but I'm not much of a drinker... so, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might take for the cider to take another turn to vinegar... IF it even will.

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes it will, set it out of the fridge and loosten the cap. I let mine go a year. I work for an orchard in the Fall and they make 55 gallon drums of vinegar from their cider. They let it set a year also.Then siphon off.I have some setting in my stair way now I made last year.
    When Iam canning and peel my apples. I fill a half gallon jar with packed peels and cover water and let set. strain off after its done and give this to my goats and chickens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    It will, and you can help encourage it in the direction you want by adding a little bit of raw apple cider vinegar to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by