Apple Cider Vinager in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NewHopePoultry, Feb 20, 2012.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My pigeons get 2 table sppons of Apple Cider Vinager in their gallon waterer twice a week.
    Is it ok for my hens to drink it?
    Will it affect the taste of the eggs?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It will be just as good for the hens as for the pigeons and no, it won't affect the taste of the eggs.

3. NoZolbitty

NoZolbitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like it would be good for them both as much as i've heard about the benifits of vinager. I knew a girl who used a dilution of it in a spray bottle to stop her senegal parrot from feather picking.

4. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I have heard that giving it to chickens in their water will keep them healthy![​IMG]

5. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    [​IMG] Great job! That's good stuff! I use it for loose or runny stools. That or green tea whatever I have on hand. Clears it up in 24 hours. I never had a funny tasting egg no matter what I fed my birds. [​IMG]

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    :)

7. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I do not get eggs yet but we drink Braggs ACV for ourselves, and I have been giving it to the chickens. They do not seem to mind or notice that its in there.

8. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    How much should i put in the water for ten chicks? It also helps pasty butt, right?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

It does seem to affect the taste...for the better.

I've always used it but pretty much sporadically, meaning whenever I thought about putting some in the water. Then I made my own ACV and had more on hand to use, so I just put it in the water each time I refilled. After I started using it all the time, my regular egg customers started making comments on the change in the taste of my eggs. "Less sulfur taste", "creamier flavor", "more mild", "now I can eat eggs and I've never been able to before without upsetting my stomach" kind of comments. I'll never go back to not using the ACV after the rave reviews that kept coming after using it full time.

10. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Really? You use it all the time? and you don't have a problem with acidosis? I would have thought the high acid content would cause "Ph" problems or that it would kill all of the good gut flora over time. I liked the idea of using it all the time because I feel it helps keep the water clean. I change it daily but I am always amazed at how much junk they get in there with just their beaks. Very interesting - I'll have to look into that some more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by