1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarmyBantams, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BarmyBantams

BarmyBantams New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I've been doing some reading on and I saw some posts about the benefits of mixing some Apple Cider Vinegar into Chooks water, to help kill bacteria and such. Has anyone used it here? I'm unsure how much to put in my chickens water as I only have the 3 [​IMG]

I got mine from here, and it arrived yesterday http://www.goldenglow.com.au/product.asp?pID=774&cID=71

Thanks!

L

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I do ONE Tablespoon per gallon. A little more won't hurt them. Mine seem to like the flavor. If I forget, they notice. Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Truth is, I just slosh a little in the waterer when I refill it. Probably about 1 tsp/gal. Helps to keep algae/slime under control. It is also supposed to be a probiotic, which I figure cannot ever hurt. I have read 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp per gallon. I add some of the organic stuff to the store bought stuff, and a mother forms in the store bought stuff.

4. BarmyBantams

BarmyBantams New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks guys [​IMG] So with my 3 I would probably do 1/4 of a cap in 500ml - 1L

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Hey! What a great idea! I never thought of that... thanks guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by