Apple Cider Vinegar

From what I've read here, it's also important to use the ACV with the 'mother' in it. I buy Bragg's brand at either Kroger or GNC. It's all cloudy and when you shake it, it gets even cloudier. I started using it when they were just a few days old after reading about it here (first I used the grocery store kind and then some members set me straight so I got the good stuff).

I use ACV in all my livestock waterers...the benefits are endless...I also take it myself daily!! We've had lots of really healthy animals around our farm!

The mother is a fungus...a yeast growth. I know it sounds gross but it is a beneficial fungus and provides probiotics for your chooks. If you cannot get this type of vinegar, don't worry...the pasteurized vinegar also has many health benefits for your animals.

I just bought some from kroger and I was trying to read the labels to see which one had 'mother' in it but I could not find any that said 'mother' anywhere on the labels??? So I just bought hoping that it will still be beneficial for my girls...Someone above said 'Bragg' brand from kroger? I will have to see if they have that one then...

The only vinegar you may find on the store shelves that will have a mother in it...and even that is something that will not be listed...is Braggs brand. Any unpasteurized vinegar will have the capabilities to form a mother in the right conditions....and I've even had pasteurized vinegar to form a mother.

You can take a cultured sample of unpasteurized vinegar and "infect"a jug of regular, pasteurized apple juice and it will grow it's own culture if you aerate the liquid. You can do this by just placing a paper towel over the opening and secure it with a rubber band. Some people stir or shake it now and again but it isn't really necessary.

Just an aside, may be healthy for the birds, but gets pricey, I found decent deal on amazon, got 2 gallons of Braggs with free shipping and delivered to my door, much cheaper than 16 ounces at a time. Also, in the summer it helps keep waterer from getting all slimy between water changes. It is a bonus that it is good for them. Good for people too!

Back
Top Bottom