apple cider vinegar

I came across this internet post and would love to get some feedback. It basically says just use fresh water, leave out the ACV and explains why. Seems to contradict the growing list of advocates. Confused, and don't know what to do. I do know that just plain water is safe and has been dependable for ever.

What do you think?

Here's the problem with articles like this, in an effort to make a reliable article backed by scientific studies, They are trying to find written proof and documentation when there is little to none out there. They found studies that were close but certain parameters and variables were skewed to offer recommendations for Backyard keepers. Chickens have been and for some unforseeable future will be considered expendable livestock. A big expensive study will most likely not happen when it's cheaper to put a bird down with problems.

My grandma did not sit down and write a thesis when she gave ACV in her water to her chickens. She used it because her Mother used it and her Grandma used it and found results and noted differences in their birds. I use it and found less incidence of pasty butt, Faster feathering by I suppose more efficient protien assimilation as touted by Braggs. When you see your chicks picking through droppings for their spilled pellets think about the competing bacteria that's lined their stomachs with ACV (good bacteria) and the competition reducing the bad bacteria from their pickings.

I agree whole heartedly on fresh water everyday--with a 1/2 cap splash of ACV. It does not have to be Bragg's--Heinz makes some and a off label Target brand also has it with the Mother or good bacteria. I believe that bedding should also be clean...but as you know with chicks and chickens poop happens.
I use non-medicated feed--not that I'm against it if warranted--but just evidence that I have not had problems while using ACV. Cleanliness and ACV will not hurt and it may even help. I cannot give evidence that you should or I probably won't because it's time consuming ...but the internet and BYC is loaded with proponents. That may be evidence enough to put it in your routine.

What kind of ACV does everyone use? I have Great Value ACV and it doesn't say it's organic. And how much should you use average and how often should you give it to them?

What kind of ACV does everyone use? I have Great Value ACV and it doesn't say it's organic. And how much should you use average and how often should you give it to them?

The non-organic ACV doesn't have the benefits of the organic kind. You can still use it around the house for cleaning etc. Google it for more details.

The organic kind is cloudy, or becomes cloudy when the bottle is shaken. You will notice sediment at the bottom when it's been sitting, this is called the "mother". The mother contains probiotic bacteria which are beneficial. Look for the word "mother" somewhere on the label. It should also say "organic". There are a number of brands. I've used Bragg's, and right now I'm using a brand I found at Walmart (Canada) called Mother Earth Vinegar. You may not find organic ACV on the same shelf as the regular vinegars. Sometimes stores sell it in the natural foods or organic section instead. If you're not sure, check for sediment and/or cloudiness when you shake the bottle.

I have never given ACV to chickens (I've only had mine a few weeks) but I've given it to many other species of bird. I give it to them in their water, 4 tablespoons per gallon (2 litres). I used to give it every day but now I've cut back to 2-3 times per week. It's a good idea to start with a weaker mixture and taper the dose up, though I've never had problems with birds refusing to drink it.

Back
Top Bottom