1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anny, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I know alot of people on here give their hens apple cider vinegar. How much do you give, and do you just mix it in with the water. How often do you give it? At what age should you start giving it?

What are some of the health benefits?

1 person likes this.
  2. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I think the dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon. It can be used as a de-wormer and it will also prevent algae from growing in the water.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    There's not a critter here that doesn't get ACV, even the two legged ones! You really can't overdo it. I ration it based on cost. The organic stuff ain't cheap! I find that when I get a little heavy handed the chickens spend more time at the waterer than the feeder.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    1 person likes this.
  5. eggchicken master

eggchicken master Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    white salmon,washington
    dont put it in metal waterers, it can not only ruin the waterers, but its bad for the chickens,so use plastic!!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If you put to much ACV in the chicken waterer they will let you know. If they aren't drinking it or not drinking as much then cut back on the amount. I usually add 3+ tbsp in my 3 gallon plastic waterer. I have read that in the heat not to add as much because it will give a sour taste faster and the chickens won't drink as much water as they need to be drinking in the heat. Don't know if that's true or not.

7. Sunburnt

Sunburnt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    NH
    I found this thread in here and was wondering if it's ok to start ACV at two weeks?

Thanks.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    should be fine. Love your avatar!! Looks like one of Gonzo's chickens! [​IMG]
    Quote:

kssilkiemama likes this.
  9. Sunburnt

Sunburnt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    NH
    gonzo&hispeeps :

should be fine. Love your avatar!! Looks like one of Gonzo's chickens! [​IMG]
    Quote:
    LOL, it is! Hi, Gonzo!​

10. chickluvr

chickluvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    I have never given my chickens ACV. They are about 8-9 weeks now. Is it ok to just start adding it now? What if they wont drink it since they have not had it before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by