Apple cores safe for chickens?

dolphinlvr4

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Savannah ga
I have 3 3.5 mo old barred rock hens who seem to really like any n all treats I give but am wondering if the core and seeds are safe to give them.. Any advice on that? Ty! ;-)

Apple seeds contain a substance called amygdalin that can release cyanide under the right circumstances such as contact with digestive enzymes. In small doses, you shouldn't have a problem, but I don't chance it with my chickens. Just never give them bowl of apple seeds ;)

yes the apple cores are safe for chickens in fact they`ll injoy pecking it to break it open and eat the seeds , well atleast it will keep them occupied lol .

I use my juicer to make my breakfast and lunch. I use spinach, celery, apples, carrots, and some other things. Everything that does not make it to my juice I give to my chickens. They love it!!!

I gave my girls yogurt for the first time and they loved it as long as it was on the ground. Lol. They eat anything from anything or anyone ( they aren't shy). But that scary yogurt was just to funny!!

Back
Top Bottom