1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cores safe for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dolphinlvr4, Feb 8, 2013.

1. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I have 3 3.5 mo old barred rock hens who seem to really like any n all treats I give but am wondering if the core and seeds are safe to give them.. Any advice on that? Ty! ;-)

2. Dash

Dash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Apple seeds contain a substance called amygdalin that can release cyanide under the right circumstances such as contact with digestive enzymes. In small doses, you shouldn't have a problem, but I don't chance it with my chickens. Just never give them bowl of apple seeds ;)

3. Gord2012

Gord2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    yes the apple cores are safe for chickens in fact they`ll injoy pecking it to break it open and eat the seeds , well atleast it will keep them occupied lol .

4. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Ok. Ty all :)

5. Gord2012

Gord2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    ur welcome

6. esoaksranch

esoaksranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Good to know, I do the same thing with grapes.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just throw the whole apple in the run and they tear it apart.

8. dana134

dana134 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    I use my juicer to make my breakfast and lunch. I use spinach, celery, apples, carrots, and some other things. Everything that does not make it to my juice I give to my chickens. They love it!!!

9. jeanlbean

jeanlbean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Bartow, FL
    I love to watch my pullets eating new items. They love yogurt, apples, grapes, potatoes but not yellow or zucchini squash!

10. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I gave my girls yogurt for the first time and they loved it as long as it was on the ground. Lol. They eat anything from anything or anyone ( they aren't shy). But that scary yogurt was just to funny!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by