Apple Recipe help!?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
The NC State Fair is coming and I saw they have a contest for an apple recipe! That catch, you need at least 2 cups of apples in the recipe AND it can't be a desert. Must be a appetizer, stir fry, casserole, main dish or Salad.

I've been throwing around some ideas with a friend and my husband. We talked a lot about what flavors work well with apple, and what flavors will make apples 'hardy and homey' and less sweet and more savory... ect.

So far we like cheeses would work. I was thinking Havarty, Smokey Gouda and Parmesean.

We also talked about Rhubarb, Honey, Spinach, and Orange/Citrus Zests.

Now we're trying to put together a recipe... something I can make the night before preferrably as I have to have it turned into the judges at 9am on October 19th at 9am! (Its an hour drive from here)

So far we've bounced off ideas like a spinach dip with chips as an app.

I have a cornbread in the oven with parmesean cheese and apple in it, and I was going to brush the top with apple juice mixed with honey, as an app.

Thinking about a spinach salad with fresh apples, and maybe kale or arugula. Make an apple, honey and rhubarb dressing to top it with, and some toasted almonds to set it off.

Trying to come up with a version of Sweet and Hot soup, asian style with apples rather then pineapple?!

So if anyone wants to brainstorm with us, we'd LOVE to get more ideas of flavors to use. Some ideas of meats for main dishes (I don't eat pork or beef, so I couldn't be able to test my own recipe).

As I make things, I would love to share the recipes here and have some people try it and judge what they like and don't like about each one!? How does that sound?

I am thinking of adding this project to my blog as well.

I have until the 10th to get my recipe TOO them to be told if I qualify for judging or not come the 19th.

We also talked about how spiced wine would taste good and rum.

Before anyone mentions it, I was thinking glaze... but I don't find that inventive enough, and I don't think the dish will include 2 cups of apples then.

I do make a killer whole wheat stuffing/dressing with granny smith apples and cranberries... but again, I think its bland in imagination!?

Going to the grocery store to buy some things to use in some inventive recipe ideas...

I just tried the cornbread I made... and its more cheese then apple and I think it needed WAY more apple, or a different kind of apple.

I currently have Rome Apples on hand locally bought.

Why not use chicken? You could make some type of chutney topping, or do a stuffing with the diced apple and top with chicken---like a casserole. You could maybe do sweet and spicy---add some unexpected heat from chili peppers or such. You could make salsa with apples in it? Just some ideas that came to mind.

Last edited:
Savory apple slaw?

Or a twist on the classic Waldorf Salad?

Like the chicken idea! Apple-chicken quiche? With sharp cheddar?

Chapple salad with feta cheese? (Mediterranean style) Or cream cheese.

Stir fried apples with chicken?

Ooooh, curried apples!
th.gif

Apple stroganoff? (pasta, apples, cumin, cream cheese)

Something Asian- apple, soy or hoisin sauce, rice noodles- or an apple spring roll, like a slaw with some shrimp inside?

Apple/shrimp stir fry - curly apple strips to match the shrimp shapes

Ugh, I am brain dead this time of night!
PM if you want me to wake up!

That would be soooo cool if you won!
woot.gif

2 acorn squash
4 tbs butter
2 tbs maple syrup
1 medium onion
1 cup golden delicious apples cubed
1 cup red delicious apples cubed
1 banana sliced
1 orange sectioned and cut
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs toasted almonds chopped.

cut the ends from the squash and scoop out the middle so you have a ring. place them on a greased baking sheet. combine 2 tbs of butter and the syrup and bring to boil in a pan. brush this sauce on the rings then cover lightly and back at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, brush on more of the sauce and continue to bake for 15 minutes.

while this is baking, dice the onion and saute it in the rest of the butter, add the apples and cook for around 4 minutes. Stir in the banana orange and seasonings and cook all until warm.

Taked the squash out of the oven and fill the whole in the middle with the apple mix. toss the almonds on the top

Oooooooh, an apple cabbage and caraway spring roll!? Oh yummm.... I'm drooling at that thought! So fresh and summery tasting.

Right now I got some rhubarb and honey and apple... I want to make an apple dressing for an apple cranberry and spinach salad (with some carrots and caraway rye croutons). I'm thinking maybe a spicey mustard mixed in the with honey/apple/rhubard dressing?!

I am about to go boil the rhubarb... I think the dressing is going to be the most important part of this.

Quote:
I would hate to take your recipe... I am trying to come up with my own... if I win, I wouldn't feel right taking credit... I guess I should have just said 'recipe brain storming' but that does sound SOOOO fabulous!!!

apples go really good with sausage (like kielbasa or polish sausage.) - just as a tip if ya don't want to do chicken.

might be interesting as kabobs on the grill with apples, sausage, green peppers, onions and a honey/cider glaze.

Last edited:
Quote:
maybe use turkey breast pieces? (or chicken breast pieces...)

my grandad used to make a nice glaze with honey and vinegar for chicken - it would go with the apples, onions, etc... too

Back
Top Bottom