apple sauce

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mgibbzzz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    I have got a TON of apple sauce. Anyone got any recipes that I can use apple sauce in?

Michelle

DMK Ranch

2. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I use it instead of shortening when I'm baking . Mine has no sugar in it though. Maybe you can cut down on the sugar in the recipe( if your sauce is sweetened) It really works well with cake mixes. Don't use the oil they recommend. Instead use 1/3 cup applesauce. [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love to warm unsweetened applesauce and melt "red hots" cinnamon candies in it.
    It is my favorite cold night tummy warmer dessert. And it is great over pound cake, angel cake or whatever.

4. mgibbzzz

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    Mine is unsweetened and I do use it in some of my baking. I will ahve to try the red hots. DH and DS love those and applesauce. Never thought to put it over cake. Thanks.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    heat it up, put it in a canning jar, put a lid and ring on and put it on a shelf.

6. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    here is a muffin recipe

Everlasting Muffins

1 stick of butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup applesauce
    1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 cups flour
    pecans if you like

Mix well in that order. Bake for 23 mins at 400.
    makes 12

I mix this up and put it in the fridge over night and bake them in the morning for breakfast. It will keep in the fridge for up to 6 wks.(mine has never lasted that long) The recipe can be doubled.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you're going to can it, use these directions: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/applesauce.html

Just
    warming it up & putting it into a jar will not kill enough bacteria nor will it create a sufficient vacuum for preservation.

I use applesauce in brownie recipes to replace half or more of the oil.

8. mgibbzzz

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    It is already canned. I just have so much of it, I'm not sure if we will be able to just 'eat it'. I love to make muffins for a quick breakfast or snacks.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

9. use it to make bread pudding, gives it a great sorta different taste marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by