Application of anti-fungal for vent gleet

tlagnhoj

Songster
13 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Indy
I am wondering about the proper protocol for applying the anti-fungal cream. The most specific directions I have found said “around vent area.” Just around? Not in a very little bit? And how far does “around” need to extend? There is a large patch of mostly-bare skin below the vent. Does that need coverage? (See picture)

And finally, what is this whitish stuff near the vent?
CEF653E2-A096-41F4-894D-8F23493501FC.jpeg

Sorry you didn't get a response sooner! The boards seem super busy, and posts can get buried.

1. I administer the antifungal cream directly into the beak and on the vent 2 or 3x a day for about a week, give or take.

2. That area doesn't really need it, as far as I know, but you can put it there.

3. The white stuff is urates.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. Now, new question. How much for the “directly in the beak?” I have never heard of treating vent gleet this way. But a friend treated sour crop with monistat (at least I think it was sour crop), so I had been wondering about giving it to the “orally.” Thanks again.

Is she acting sick?

Urates can wash off, but they stick fairly well.
Vent gleet is a constant white yeasty smelling discharge.

Nu Stock cream can be applied to the skin below the vent to help sooth and heal it. It doesn't really look that irritated, but it can help provide a barrier so urates don't burn.

If her crop is emptying, she's laying eggs, pooping, eating/drinking and active, then she's probably fine.
You have posted about her, so if you'll describe her symptoms we may be able to offer more suggestions.

Is she acting sick?

Urates can wash off, but they stick fairly well.
Vent gleet is a constant white yeasty smelling discharge.

Nu Stock cream can be applied to the skin below the vent to help sooth and heal it. It doesn't really look that irritated, but it can help provide a barrier so urates don't burn.

If her crop is emptying, she's laying eggs, pooping, eating/drinking and active, then she's probably fine.
You have posted about her, so if you'll describe her symptoms we may be able to offer more suggestions.
She’s not laying. She isn’t pooping normally; it’s very liquify if she does it at all. But she is eating and drinking, though I don’t know if he eating is normally for her. She did devour the yogurt I gave her last night. She shows no signs of lethargy or illness in her activity.

I know this is vent gleet. And her bum in this picture is at least 10 shades redder than it was 4 days ago. It was almost white 4 days ago. And the fact that she has poop sticking to her feathers now is a sign she is not fine.

I see.

Then I would treat her with an anti-fungal cream or nystatin. Make sure she's eating and drinking well and that feed/water stations stay clean.

Not laying eggs may be related to Vent Gleet or it could be something else - hot weather, reproductive issues, worms, etc. etc.

Here's the standard treatment options for vent gleet.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Back
Top Bottom