Apply To Become A Volunteer Project Manager

Pics
Get busy on what?
Clean up.
How do you ship eggs? Now I’m curious!
It's not hard. You can wrap each egg in bubble wrap, then put a layer of shavings in a smaller box,...about half way full. Then set the wrapped eggs in the shavings much like Christmas ornaments go in peanut packing material. Fill the remainder of the box with more shavings until full.
Gently tape shut.
Take a box that's a few inches bigger all the way around than the first box, put a layer of shavings down, set the first box into it, then fill all the remaining voids with shavings and a light layer over top. Tape well, label, and ship.

I know a number of people have received eggs wrapped this way and so long as USPS didn't play football too much with the box, the eggs arrive ok.

The trick is for everything to be snug around the eggs without crushing them. This way they don't bounce around during shipping. Air cells are another story, but if the receiver knows what to do then many saddle air cell eggs can still hatch successfully. I got 7 live chicks from 9 viable eggs on my last shipment of eggs.

@CluckNDoodle has gotten a lot of shipped eggs, maybe she call tell you from experience the best way her eggs have been packed.

Clean up.

It's not hard. You can wrap each egg in bubble wrap, then put a layer of shavings in a smaller box,...about half way full. Then set the wrapped eggs in the shavings much like Christmas ornaments go in peanut packing material. Fill the remainder of the box with more shavings until full.
Gently tape shut.
Take a box that's a few inches bigger all the way around than the first box, put a layer of shavings down, set the first box into it, then fill all the remaining voids with shavings and a light layer over top. Tape well, label, and ship.

I know a number of people have received eggs wrapped this way and so long as USPS didn't play football too much with the box, the eggs arrive ok.

The trick is for everything to be snug around the eggs without crushing them. This way they don't bounce around during shipping. Air cells are another story, but if the receiver knows what to do then many saddle air cell eggs can still hatch successfully. I got 7 live chicks from 9 viable eggs on my last shipment of eggs.

@CluckNDoodle has gotten a lot of shipped eggs, maybe she call tell you from experience the best way her eggs have been packed.

The best hatch rates I've had from shipped eggs were either packaged in the foam inserts that are made for shipping eggs (kind of expensive in my opinion) and then just recently from @WVduckchick I had a 93% hatch rate from how she packaged her eggs! I believe she's working on an article but these are the videos I have with the eggs from her.

First video show how they are packaged and second video is candling and the hatch.

Those of you who are already VPMs, would you mind sharing a little bit of information for everyone as to what its like? The time and commitment it takes would be good things to highlight.

As someone that was a VPM and stepped down because of my busy life. I miss doing it! It was actually really fun to assist behind the scenes! There is work to be done but everyone has a life outside of BYC and is very understanding about availability! Considering you're a very active member on BYC it wouldn't be more time for you but rather reallocating some of your BYC time. :)

The best hatch rates I've had from shipped eggs were either packaged in the foam inserts that are made for shipping eggs (kind of expensive in my opinion) and then just recently from @WVduckchick I had a 93% hatch rate from how she packaged her eggs! I believe she's working on an article but these are the videos I have with the eggs from her.

First video show how they are packaged and second video is candling and the hatch.

Oh my gosh...SQUEEEE...such cute fluffenutters!!
I love your videos.

Those of you who are already VPMs, would you mind sharing a little bit of information for everyone as to what its like? The time and commitment it takes would be good things to highlight.
I know this is an older post, but I think it would be helpful to get more perspectives on this question. As a new VPM, I really enjoy being a project manager. The VPM/mod team is fantastic! I am busy for 6 hours every weekday (apart from holidays) and still manage to get everything done (with plenty of time to spare)!

A note for all: anyone is free to volunteer to help out every once in a while if you want to try it out! I started off helping out for the halloween HAL, and I really enjoyed hosting my first contest and entering data.

I want to be a VPM but only during summer. I am much too busy during the school year. However on most summer days I can be on almost all day. Is this enough time to be a VPM? Anyways, I submitted a form and am excited for the results!

I want to be a VPM but only during summer. I am much too busy during the school year. However on most summer days I can be on almost all day. Is this enough time to be a VPM? Anyways, I submitted a form and am excited for the results!
I'm not sure if thats enough time but you can always ask if you can help out during those times.

Back
Top Bottom