Applying for my first job this week

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eenie114, Feb 26, 2012.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Taking the plunge and entering the wonderful world of shifts and minimum wage. [​IMG]My best friend and I are applying for positions at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City.
    I'm looking at the "games ambassador" and "merchandise ambassador" jobs... Those would involve air conditioning, right?? [​IMG] I feel sorry for anybody who ends up at Camp Snoopy in those huge costumes.
    Anyway, everybody wish me luck! If I can save enough this summer, I can buy a car next year so that I can get a more local job. [​IMG] Elisa and are are going to be carpooling the 1 hour and 20 minutes down to the city, as it's the best option we have right now.
    Does anybody know what would be appropriate to wear for the interview? I've heard that the rule of thumb is to be a little dressier than you would be while on the job, does this apply for amusement parks?
    ~Evelyn

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :ya Good luck! Applying for jobs is something I spend a lot of time doing, although unfortunately none of them have actually made it to the interview stage, so I don't have much advice on that front.
    Lucky you, saving up for a car. :p Although you probably need it, that long drive sounds like a pain. :fl

3. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wishing you the best eenie! Just make sure you get plenty of rest when commuting that far![​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Dress neatly and be friendly, don't fidget and look nervous, even if you are. Go for making a good impression. Let us know how it went.
    Good luck!

5. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    eenie114:

Dress up for your interview, i.e. a dress (if you are a woman, sport jacket and tie if a guy). This shows the interviewer you care about first impressions and also that you care enough about the interviewer and the job that you took the time to make yourself presentable.

I went on an interview once where I did dress up and the lady interviewing told me I was the first one that didn't come in wearing jeans and sneakers. I got the job too.

I never hurts to be dressed up.

6. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Good luck hun [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you like the job!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck, Eenie.

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Good luck!

I'm not much of a "dress" chica, so my go to is a pair of nicely fitting (not tight, not baggy, correct length) black slacks, and a nice top - I think my last top was a business casual blouse from Kohls. Black dress shoes, a pair of earring studs, a simple necklace (that I borrowed from my daycare lady LOL). I had my hair in a french twist. Just look clean and well put together.

From working with my manager on management, one thing in an interview is to go to the job knowing something about it, and ask about the things you don't know. If you don't know of what to ask, when they ask you "Do you have any questions?", don't say no, say something like "If you choose a different candidate, would you be willing to provide me feedback on my interview?"

Maybe an amusement park job isn't the same as a large company, high tech job, but you never know what doors that amusement company job can open if you give a stellar first interview and show you're ready to do the job and do it well. It's good to be professional from the get-go, I think :)

10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Oh - ALWAYS send a thank you note! Just something - "Thank you for your time" is good. I've been offered jobs before they even recieved the note in the mail, but you know what, they remembered that down the road in my career, and it helped open doors for me :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by