Applying pour-on Ivermectin 5% to chickens

CrazedCowgirl

Chirping
Jan 17, 2016
Eugene Oregon
I know this is going to be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways.

For Pour-on Ivermectin I know it's applied to the birds back between the should blades but do I apply it just like I would to a dog by running it down their backs or do I just apply the .5 CC as a blob between the shoulder blades and let it go where it wants?

None if my birds has mites or anything but I'm preparing for a swap and want to make sure I'm taking healthy birds. My girls get a weekly once over to check for mites, lice and any non visible injuries that could be covered or not easily visible on my nightly checks when I coop them up.

I know this is going to be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways.

For Pour-on Ivermectin I know it's applied to the birds back between the should blades but do I apply it just like I would to a dog by running it down their backs or do I just apply the .5 CC as a blob between the shoulder blades and let it go where it wants?

None if my birds has mites or anything but I'm preparing for a swap and want to make sure I'm taking healthy birds. My girls get a weekly once over to check for mites, lice and any non visible injuries that could be covered or not easily visible on my nightly checks when I coop them up.
@CrazedCowgirl , the minimum effective dose is 0.045 ml per pound, which for a 5 pound bird is ~0.25 ml (1/4 ml). Some people do use twice that amount (0.09 ml per pound, or 0.5 ml for a 5 pound bird). It's absorbed through the skin, so I don't think it matters where you put it as long as it's on the skin and not on the feathers.

Check the entire body for lice and mites, and maybe use reading glasses to see better, because some are very small and almost invisible to the naked eye.

No need to use it if you are sure they don't have parasites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom