Approaching a real cold week at night

randallt1

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Western North Carolina
I have a 3 year old Pekin female pet who just lost her companion last week. I have always been told that the pair did not need a heat lamp to warm up their little 4x4x4 house even in double or single digit temps. Now that she is alone, I'm worried. Any advice?

Thank you
Randall

Bring her in - a utility room, a bathroom. One duck cannot keep herself warm enough. And even if she survived, my philosophy is I want my ducks thriving, not just surviving. Just one duck - just temporarily - help her out.

Thank you for caring for her.
hugs.gif

I hope you can find her a friend or friends soon, too. An unbreakable mirror helps single ducks cope, from what I have heard.

I have a single duck her companion died ,The mirror help her to see another duck her reflection, She has an area of her own in the garage towels to lie on and I talk to her often as I work in the garage ,In the spring I will get her another companion. She has a pan fpr bathing too.

If you cannot bring her in, make sure she has a lot of deep straw to snuggle down in. Clean straw is much better at insulating than hay. If you can get a rubbermaid container, not too big, turn it over and put a lot of straw in so she can get in and really burrow, it will help keep her warm. We live in Maine and did that way back when we had a single duck for a short time. It helped her survive our awful northern winters quite well.

Back
Top Bottom