Appropriate Scratch grain amount

ldahanson

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
New chicken mama here. I have four chickens that free range all day, every day. They also have free access to a layer feed, shells, grit, etc. I’ve read that treats should not be more than 10% of their diet per day, but I really have no idea what they eat. About how much scratch grain/mealworm mix is appropriate to give them each day? I usually just toss out a healthy handful.

New chicken mama here. I have four chickens that free range all day, every day. They also have free access to a layer feed, shells, grit, etc. I’ve read that treats should not be more than 10% of their diet per day, but I really have no idea what they eat. About how much scratch grain/mealworm mix is appropriate to give them each day? I usually just toss out a healthy handful.
I don't measure, either. I just give them treats like you do - a handful or so - a couple times a week. I *think* I recall that it's akin to a couple of tablespoons per chicken, but I could be wrong. I do suffer from The Olds.

Also - if they free range, they don't need extra grit. They'll get it from their environment. Save yourself some grit money.

I have four chickens that free range all day, every day. They also have free access to a layer feed, shells, grit, etc. I’ve read that treats should not be more than 10% of their diet per day, but I really have no idea what they eat. About how much scratch grain/mealworm mix is appropriate to give them each day?
For a Flock that forage all day, every day I wouldn't give treats daily and when I do it would be a Tbsp each of a Scratch Grain/Mealworm mix.

I only Free Range my Hens and Laying Pullets an hour before sunset daily.
I give each a Tbsp of Scratch daily during summer temps and 2 Tbsps each daily rest of the year.
I use a coffee scoop to measure for my two flocks of 3 and 8.
GC

For a Flock that forage all day, every day I wouldn't give treats daily and when I do it would be a Tbsp each of a Scratch Grain/Mealworm mix.

I only Free Range my Hens and Laying Pullets an hour before sunset daily.
I give each a Tbsp of Scratch daily during summer temps and 2 Tbsps each daily rest of the year.
I use a coffee scoop to measure for my two flocks of 3 and 8.
GC
Thank you!!

FWIW. I keep my chicken feeder full with layer feed and accessible all the time. I found the economy wild bird feed at Wally World a cheap but great treat for my 4 PM gathering. 7 adult and 8 juvenile chickens plus 7 guineas free range all day long. At 4 PM, I call them in and throw out the wild bird feed. Later, when I close up the coops, I can determine how much they ate and adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom