April 1 chicks @ 17weeks UPDATED 7/31 - PIC HEAVY.

These are my "mutt" chicks born a week after you...........

Cross between a barred rock hen and black polish rooster. Look at his little hat!

This guy/girl's father is the black polish rooster. I don't know who the mother is:

This girl's mother is a golden lace cohin and a big white rooster of unknown origin.....

This guy is......................I don't know the parentage!

Here's a girl. The mother is the golden lace cochin hen and who knows!

13 weeks. Please take you best guess as to which ones are hens and which are roos. I need to make some decisions.

Last edited:
I think they all look like hens except the 2nd one.

Really? That would be great news. The second one is crowing so we know he's a rooster. He going to look a lot like his daddy Louie. He even sounds the same although his crow is not quite developed yet. I haven't heard any of the others crow yet so maybe that's a good sign. The one with the feathered legs (#3 and #7) is very big. She was one of the bantam eggs from Elkie. She has a pea comb but no roo feathers. She is the same size as the EEs. #1 and #6 are smaller but still not as small as Elkie. The roo (#2) along with #6 are the largest. The roo is also already getting saddle feathers. The others are just so confusing as to what is going on...

Gosh! I'm no expert at all! With my mutt chickens I really decide by looking at their wattles and combs. The ones I "thought" were roosters are. Two are already crowing at 2 1/2 months so that was easy enough! I still can't decide with two others.

Congrats!
This is probably a really silly qustion, but why do you put X's on the eggs? Everyone does (almost?)

Congrats!
This is probably a really silly question, but why do you put X's on the eggs? Everyone does (almost?)

Not silly at all. When incubating the eggs they need to be turned an odd number of times per day so an X on one side and an O on the other allows you to remember which side was turned last. You turn them an odd number so that they don't lay on the same side on consecutive nights. Humans need Xs and Os, mother hens do not, they just know.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom