April 1 chicks @ 17weeks UPDATED 7/31 - PIC HEAVY.

hondo58

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
We hatched 7 eggs on April 1 2012. It was our first attempt using our own eggs and my home made incubator. The eggs had been stored in the fridge and are from two young pullets just under a year old and one bantam pullet only 8 months old. Our EE rooster is also just under a year.

Last edited:
Today we had all 9 of our hens lay an egg for the first time. I was trying to figure out which hen was laying which egg but until today I still had two that I wasn’t sure of. Mystery solved. We have a variety pack that’s for sure. The yellow lines are from our older hens the pink lines are from the hens we hatched on April 1. Pretty cool! The three roosters are all getting along and position themselves in a triangle around the hens all day keeping them safe (so far).

1 large brown egg from the Cinnamon Queen
1 large light brown egg from White Rock #1
1 large lighter brown egg from White Rock #2
1 small white egg from our bantam Elkie
1 medium blue egg from our light blue/brown hen
1 medium blue egg from our brown hen
1 small green egg from our white bantam
1 small blue/green egg from our gold bantam
1 medium olive egg from our Cinnamon Queen x Louie cross hen

Last edited:
Those are beautiful pictures.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, Hondo!

I can't believe how much they've grown
love.gif

If you remember my very first hatch was a week behind you. I was following your thread and you had so many great pictures and links that helped me out so much. Thank you so much for all the detail you put into your post with the great pictures. You really helped a "newbie hatcher" to know exactly what I was supposed to be seeing
big_smile.png

I am so happy to say that of the 11 bantams I put in lockdown, 10 hatched!!! Nine little dark ones and one yellow, chipmunk looking one. It took about 24 hours for all of them to hatch. Right now they are dashing about the brooder and some are getting pin feathers on their wings. I also made a box with a ramp like you did but I put outdoor carpet on the ramp part. I was watching the video and I see your chicks eat the pine bedding like mine does so I won't worry so much since yours appear to be OK.

I just cannot take pictures like yours. My brooder is on the floor and it makes it very hard to get good shots
th.gif

Note to self: Call MyPetChicken and cancel May 21st order
big_smile.png

Yes I do remember. 10 of 11 is great! I used paper towels over the pine shavings for about a week. Once they started scratching them up that was it. As they get older and change I'll update this thread with new photos. I had them out on the grass for a bit the other day and they were loving it. As you can see the rooster and hens came over to take a look as well as one of our dogs. I added a roost to the brooder last week and they are all able to get up on it so I removed the ramp to give them more room since they can hop right up on the shelf where the feed and water is. They are all practicing their flying skills now....it's too funny.

Wow, Hondo!

I can't believe how much they've grown
love.gif

If you remember my very first hatch was a week behind you. I was following your thread and you had so many great pictures and links that helped me out so much. Thank you so much for all the detail you put into your post with the great pictures. You really helped a "newbie hatcher" to know exactly what I was supposed to be seeing
big_smile.png

I am so happy to say that of the 11 bantams I put in lockdown, 10 hatched!!! Nine little dark ones and one yellow, chipmunk looking one. It took about 24 hours for all of them to hatch. Right now they are dashing about the brooder and some are getting pin feathers on their wings. I also made a box with a ramp like you did but I put outdoor carpet on the ramp part. I was watching the video and I see your chicks eat the pine bedding like mine does so I won't worry so much since yours appear to be OK.

I just cannot take pictures like yours. My brooder is on the floor and it makes it very hard to get good shots
th.gif

Note to self: Call MyPetChicken and cancel May 21st order
big_smile.png

I just love watching the chicks running and flapping those little winglets. And they are so, so tiny. When I pick them up its like picking up air.

So do you have someone helping you take those pictures? Like the ones on the stump? I'd be afraid mine would tumble off or try to fly away before I could get the camera and take a picture. Those are fantastic pictures, by the way
yesss.gif

I didn't notice the little brown one or has he/she grown so much I don't recognize him/her.

The little brown one is the fifth up from the bottom with the yellowish head. In the earlier photo of the three bantams together she is on the right. They were about a week old in that shot. They are two weeks old in the shots on the stump. She (I hope!) has changed a lot. No one helps me take the photos. I just put them on the stump and they sat there...mostly....except the little gray one who tried to fly off once or twice.
yippiechickie.gif

I just love watching the chicks running and flapping those little winglets. And they are so, so tiny. When I pick them up its like picking up air.

So do you have someone helping you take those pictures? Like the ones on the stump? I'd be afraid mine would tumble off or try to fly away before I could get the camera and take a picture. Those are fantastic pictures, by the way
yesss.gif

I didn't notice the little brown one or has he/she grown so much I don't recognize him/her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom