Law of 3s and chicken math..(long read )

Just an update. Little chick zipped halfway and is resting now. We can see it’s whole head and still lots of chewing. So nap time and finishing absorbing the yolk! I can also hear the next egg chirping and it’s pip has gotten bigger. Not zipping at all yet though. 3rd one pipped halfway through the day and nothing since. I’ll update again in the morning!!

I was up until 2am watching little chicks hatch! Turns out first one was malpositioned, thus the hours trying to zip, I did a very minor assist, breaking a couple centimeters of shell. After that it was able to flip and push its way out, this was not a clean escape I am calling this chick Hulk, cuz that shell was SMASHED! Well that chick got the next one going 30 mins later! This one was strong and motivated! Hatch from start of zip to free was 30 mins total!!! So I watched the whole process! I raised humidity in the room I was in and placed a warmed towel in a dish and placed them both quickly inside and set it in the incubator so they were disturbing all the other eggs! As of this morning those 2 are almost dry and egg number 3 can be seen pecking to get ready to zip!

Attachments

• 6E167285-3B7F-402E-B417-82BFA78B38AE.jpeg
    6E167285-3B7F-402E-B417-82BFA78B38AE.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 11
For those wondering Momma was a BO and dad was a RIR for these 2. The 3rd egg is completely unknown, options are Cali grey, Ancona, or Cali white. I was really hoping one of the tan eggs was a SF but no luck, hopefully some at my in laws were!

I was up until 2am watching little chicks hatch! Turns out first one was malpositioned, thus the hours trying to zip, I did a very minor assist, breaking a couple centimeters of shell. After that it was able to flip and push its way out, this was not a clean escape I am calling this chick Hulk, cuz that shell was SMASHED! Well that chick got the next one going 30 mins later! This one was strong and motivated! Hatch from start of zip to free was 30 mins total!!! So I watched the whole process! I raised humidity in the room I was in and placed a warmed towel in a dish and placed them both quickly inside and set it in the incubator so they were disturbing all the other eggs! As of this morning those 2 are almost dry and egg number 3 can be seen pecking to get ready to zip!

Congratulations, so sweet :love

Congrats, glad you were able to help the little guy out! :woot Can't wait to see photos of all the babies! :jumpy

In laws sent me a pic this morning. Nugget finally took her new chicks out from the shed. Sadly she only has 4 chicks. But there are still at least 10 more and I’m hoping they still hatch!

Wing sexed the little ones once they started to fluff. I was correct in thinking they were male and female. So they have been named Hulk and Gamora! Once it got to 100 outside I introduced them to the other chicks and they took to each other right away! Ignore the watermelon, my kids took it from the ducks and tried to give it to the chicks. I took it away right after this pic, I just took advantage of the red luring them all together 😂

Attachments

• 981CA552-0D93-453E-863C-18CB82DC32B8.jpeg
    981CA552-0D93-453E-863C-18CB82DC32B8.jpeg
    706.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 52BD1C32-BB33-4B54-BB01-D2C864170A0F.jpeg
    52BD1C32-BB33-4B54-BB01-D2C864170A0F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
In laws sent me a pic this morning. Nugget finally took her new chicks out from the shed. Sadly she only has 4 chicks. But there are still at least 10 more and I’m hoping they still hatch!

Wing sexed the little ones once they started to fluff. I was correct in thinking they were male and female. So they have been named Hulk and Gamora! Once it got to 100 outside I introduced them to the other chicks and they took to each other right away! Ignore the watermelon, my kids took it from the ducks and tried to give it to the chicks. I took it away right after this pic, I just took advantage of the red luring them all together 😂
Super cute! :love

Last little one hatched around noon and I almost forgot to post a pic. This one had some kind of obstruction when it was born. Belly was super bloated and it prevented her from moving. Eventually got her to poo and after she passed a HUGE thick blob her belly got down to a size that she was able to start trying to use her legs. Luckily she is very determined and energetic! We wound up bringing the other 2 chicks in to her temporary brooder so she wasn’t alone. We will keep them here until she can walk. Just the couple hours she has been out of the incubator and with the other 2 has shown a ton of progress. My kids named her Pancake(Cakey) because when she rests she lays like a pancake since she can’t quite get her legs under her yet. So here is Hulk, Gamora and Cakey! Looks like her mommy was a Cali white, so she is a CW/RIR mix. I’m calling the other two Red Orpingtons so maybe this one can be a Rhode Island White 😂

Attachments

• B9BC5EA3-39B5-4C6A-ACCA-2028FD63BDAF.jpeg
    B9BC5EA3-39B5-4C6A-ACCA-2028FD63BDAF.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 7
Last little one hatched around noon and I almost forgot to post a pic. This one had some kind of obstruction when it was born. Belly was super bloated and it prevented her from moving. Eventually got her to poo and after she passed a HUGE thick blob her belly got down to a size that she was able to start trying to use her legs. Luckily she is very determined and energetic! We wound up bringing the other 2 chicks in to her temporary brooder so she wasn’t alone. We will keep them here until she can walk. Just the couple hours she has been out of the incubator and with the other 2 has shown a ton of progress. My kids named her Pancake(Cakey) because when she rests she lays like a pancake since she can’t quite get her legs under her yet. So here is Hulk, Gamora and Cakey! Looks like her mommy was a Cali white, so she is a CW/RIR mix. I’m calling the other two Red Orpingtons so maybe this one can be a Rhode Island White 😂
Congrats on your babies! :wee

Back
Top Bottom